LOS ANGELES – Mel Gibson was named Thursday as a potential suspect in a domestic violence investigation involving his ex-girlfriend, Russian singer Oksana Grigorieva, earlier this year, sheriff’s officials said.

The disclosure came after detectives interviewed Grigorieva about the alleged attack at an undisclosed location in Malibu.

Sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore said Grigorieva was the only person interviewed so far in the case.

Gibson and Grigorieva have been involved in a custody dispute over their infant daughter, the subject of a confidential court case.

Whitmore declined to disclose further details of the domestic violence investigation or any potential evidence.

“We’re in the process of verifying, verifying, verifying,” Whitmore said. “All the allegations that have been put forth will be thoroughly investigated.”

A phone message left for Alan Nierob, Gibson’s spokesman, was not immediately returned.

The actor has not publicly discussed the breakup with Grigorieva, 40. The former couple first revealed their relationship shortly after Gibson’s wife, Robyn, filed for divorce last April. The divorce is pending.

Court proceedings in the case involving the 8-month-old daughter of Gibson and Grigorieva have been conducted in closed session.

Gibson’s attorney, Stephen Kolodny, previously said the actor has paid Grigorieva “tens of thousands of dollars” and provided her with a home, vehicle and nanny since their breakup.

He also accused the singer of violating the terms of a confidential custody agreement reached in May.

Grigorieva has said she cannot discuss the case.

The Sheriff’s Department said the alleged attack on Grigorieva occurred Jan. 6, and the investigation was in a preliminary stage. It could take a month before the inquiry is concluded and the results are turned over to the district attorney’s office, which will decide whether to pursue charges.

Gibson, 54, won an Academy Award in 1995 for directing “Braveheart,” which won that year’s best picture Oscar.

Diana’s family sells treasures

LONDON – Christie’s auction house says a sale of art, antiques and assorted household items owned by the aristocratic family of the late Princess Diana has sold for $32 million.

The three-day sale, which concluded in London on Thursday, featured hundreds of items, including paintings, furniture and even carriages from the Spencer family’s country estate and historic London home.

The top item was a painting by Peter Paul Rubens, “Commander Being Armed for Battle,” which sold for $14 million. The Spencer family had owned it since 1802.

A horse carriage used at the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902 was sold for $202,000.

King, wife call off divorce

LOS ANGELES – Larry King’s television reign may be ending, but his eighth marriage will go on.

Court records in Los Angeles showed King and his wife each filed Wednesday to end competing divorce petitions and that the cases have been dismissed.

The move comes nearly three months after the host of CNN’s “Larry King Live” filed to end his nearly 13-year marriage to his eighth wife, Shawn. She also sought to end the marriage, but the couple soon reconciled.

King announced his retirement last month. He cited the desire to spend more time with his wife and two young sons as one of the benefits of ending his show after 25 years. He will step down from the show this year, and CNN executives are searching for a replacement.

In a statement released Thursday, King said, “A lot of new things are happening to us, and we are happy to be together as a family with our children.”