GARDINER — Firefighters brought a small apartment fire under control in about 20 minutes this morning after a tenant left a box of cat food on an ignited stove burner.

Nobody was hurt in the fire at 148 Brunswick Ave., said Gardiner Fire Chief Rick Cody.

The apartment started filling with smoke around 10 a.m. after a tenant left home with the burner on and the cat food box on top.

“It caught the box on fire and filled the apartment with smoke,” Cody said.

Once they discovered the cause, Cody said, firefighters focused mostly on removing smoke from the building, which has about eight apartments.

Cody said the Gardiner Fire Department had called for help from the Augusta, Farmingdale and West Gardiner fire departments, but asked them to turn around once the fire was contained.