WASHINGTON – The Obama administration on Friday implored the website WikiLeaks to stop posting secret Afghanistan war documents, as the Pentagon pressed its investigation of the massive security breach.

Administration officials said the investigation into the release of the documents — more than 76,900 so far — could extend beyond members of the military.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said WikiLeaks’ online posting of mostly raw military intelligence reports jeopardized national security and put the lives of Afghan informants and U.S. troops at risk.

Asked what the Obama administration could do to stop WikiLeaks from disclosing thousands of similar documents it claims to have, Gibbs said, “We can do nothing but implore the person that has those classified top secret documents not to post any more.”

“I think it’s important that no more damage be done to our national security,” Gibbs said Friday on NBC’s “Today” show.

According to Britain’s Channel 4 News, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the Afghans named in the leaked documents were under scrutiny.

“We will investigate through our own secret service whether the people mentioned are really spies working for the U.S. If they are U.S. spies, then we know how to punish them,” he is quoted as saying.

The Pentagon’s inquiry has been looking most closely at Pfc. Bradley Manning, an Army intelligence analyst charged with leaking a helicopter video from Iraq to the WikiLeaks website. The classified cockpit video showed a 2007 firefight in Baghdad that left a Reuters photographer and his driver dead.

Manning has also been charged with illegally obtaining more than 150,000 classified State Department cables and leaking more than 50 of them. It’s not clear from the charges, though, whether the allegedly diverted documents were those published on the website.

Manning, 22, was moved Thursday from Kuwait to Quantico Marine Corps Base in Virginia, where he will be held while awaiting possible trial, the Army said Friday.