PORTSMOUTH, N.H.

Police arrest man in attack with hammer

New Hampshire police have arrested a Portsmouth man accused of attempted murder for allegedly assaulting another man with a hammer.

Police said the victim, who is in his late 20s, suffered serious injuries to the head, hand and leg after he was assaulted at a city gas station on Monday. According to police, the injuries are not life-threatening. The victim’s car has a Maine registration.

Authorities said the suspect, 28-year-old Spencer Hagstrom, was arrested about six hours after the early afternoon attack.

Police told The Portsmouth Herald that he works at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.

TAMWORTH, N.H.

Police detonate bombs after arrest in standoff

Police said a 24-year-old New Hampshire man is in custody after a six-hour standoff with police that led officers to recover numerous bombs from a Tamworth home.

Matthew Stewart was arrested just before 9 a.m. Monday by a New Hampshire State Police tactical response unit.

Police said Tamworth officers were called to the Main Street home at about 1:40 a.m. Monday for a report of a domestic disturbance.

Officers freed a woman and then a 15-month boy.

Police called for backup after learning Stewart allegedly had firearms and explosives inside.

Police said after Stewart’s arrest, the State Police Explosives Ordnance Disposal Unit retrieved and then detonated “numerous incendiary devices” from the home.

CONCORD, N.H.

Man seriously injured in fall into trash container at dump

New Hampshire police said a Concord man has been seriously injured after falling into a trash container at the dump.

Police said the 46-year-old man, whose name has not been released, fell into the container at the Concord Recycling Center and Transfer Station around 11:30 a.m. Monday.

Concord Police Lt. Keith Mitchell said the man, who was not a transfer station employee, was taken to the hospital in serious condition with “significant injuries.”

The Concord Monitor reports that police were examining a ledge from which people toss trash into a processing container. A pickup truck, which appeared to be filled with trash, was backed up to the ledge.

NORTH HERO, Vt.

Ex-slaughterhouse owner turns himself in on charge

The co-owner of a now-closed Vermont slaughterhouse has turned himself in on an animal cruelty charge.

The attorney general’s office said 51-year-old Frank Perretta of Grand Isle was released on $10,000 bail Monday.

Bushway Packing Inc., was shut down Oct. 30 amid allegations stemming from a Humane Society of the United States undercover video showing calves being kicked and poked with electric prods.

A former worker at the slaughterhouse, 37-year-old Christopher Gaudette of Grand Isle, has pleaded not guilty to animal cruelty charges.

Perretta was arrested last week in New York on fugitive from justice charges. On Monday, he turned himself in on a misdemeanor charge in Vermont.

BOSTON

State’s A.G. recommends Cape Wind deal approval

The Massachusetts attorney general has recommended regulators approve a power purchase deal between National Grid and the nation’s inaugural offshore wind farm, saying the pact is “in the public interest.”

The recommendation by Martha Coakley on Monday comes after she negotiated a deal last month with Cape Wind to drop its starting price from 20.7 cents per kilowatt hour to 18.7 cents, starting in 2013. The price goes up 3.5 percent annually.

The deal must be approved by the state Department of Public Utilities.

Cape Wind is planning a 130-turbine wind farm in Nantucket Sound. Critics say the project’s power is too costly and that the project would mar historic vistas.

Also Monday, Cape Wind announced the Federal Aviation Administration had given the project its final approval.