NEW YORK — A federal judge on Thursday dismissed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit by a concert promoter against the late Michael Jackson over a failed reunion concert.

U.S. District Judge Harold Baer Jr. granted a motion by lawyers for Jackson’s estate to dismiss the case, citing a lack of evidence that Jackson or his family were under a binding agreement to perform at a reunion concert.

AllGood Entertainment Inc., a company started in Morristown, N.J., sued Jackson for $40 million on June 10, 2009, roughly two weeks before the singer’s death at age 50. It claimed Jackson and his then-manager, Frank DiLeo, broke a contract for a Jackson reunion show.

AllGood later filed a creditor’s claim with Jackson’s estate, claiming the potential value of the lawsuit was at least $300 million.

Baer determined that there was a letter of intent between DiLeo and AllGood, but never an enforceable contract.

Attorneys for Jackson’s estate and DiLeo said that if there was a breach in the contract, AllGood broke the agreement first because it did not issue a payment to Jackson before a required deadline. Baer wrote that there was no evidence that AllGood suffered substantial economic damage because of the failed concert.

Judge criticizes prosecution in Anna Nicole Smith case

LOS ANGELES — A judge delivered a harsh assessment Friday of the evidence and charges against two doctors and a lawyer in the Anna Nicole Smith drug conspiracy case.

The criticism came as Superior Court Judge Robert Perry reluctantly agreed to let jurors see a videotape of Smith on an awards show in a performance that her former boyfriend Larry Birkhead said was considered “loopy, wacky and crazy” by many people.

Perry, however, said outside the jury’s presence that the prosecution’s case concerned him.
“It’s the people’s position that Anna Nicole was kept in a drugged state,” Perry said.

But the evidence so far does not support that, he said. “I’m seeing a strong-willed person who ordered people around,” he said.

Perry said he likely would bar most further video evidence because he has a responsibility to prevent the presentation of misleading evidence, such as snippets of edited video designed to show that Smith was drugged.

Leno will ‘stand up’ for Gulf

BILOXI, Miss. — Jay Leno will be doing standup to help the Gulf Coast.

The “Tonight Show” host and comedian will appear today at the Beau Rivage Theater in Biloxi in a benefit performance for residents who have been affected by the massive oil spill.

The appearance is billed as “Stand Up for the Gulf Coast: A Special Evening with Jay Leno to Benefit the Gulf Coast Community Foundation.” Leno says the coastal fishing community and others need money, and he wants to help raise it.

Tickets for the benefit are $40, $80 and $150 each. Funds raised will be administered by the foundation through its Mississippi Oil Spill Recovery Fund.

Tweet a star onto Emmy stage

LOS ANGELES —Jimmy Fallon wants your tweet to be part of the Emmy Awards.

Fallon, host of the ceremony on NBC, said Friday that the public will get to submit an introduction through Twitter for up to 15 Emmy presenters. Fallon will read the best one as each presenter comes on stage.

Starting Wednesday, a list of the presenters involved will be posted at NBC’s website, along with a Twitter link to enter suggested introductions.

Previously announced presenters include nominees Matthew Morrison of “Glee” and Jon Hamm and January Jones of “Mad Men.”

The Emmys air Aug. 29, live on NBC at 8 p.m. EDT.