NEW YORK — Anne Hathaway is now at a point where she can joke about her former boyfriend admitting he was a con artist.

The 27-year-old actress opens up about the ordeal in the November issue of Vogue magazine. Asked to name her “deal-breakers” with men, Hathaway replied, “Uhh fraud?” and laughs.

Raffaello Follieri pleaded guilty to cheating investors out of millions of dollars by falsely claiming he had Vatican connections that enabled him to buy church property at a discount. He was sentenced to four years in prison in 2008, and jewelry that Follieri gave Hathaway was recently auctioned off by U.S. marshals.

All joking aside, the actress admits the relationship took its toll. The experience taught her to be “more wary,” she said. “It takes a minute for me to let my guard down, but once I do and I get to know someone, I’m very open, very trusting. Some might say too trusting.”

Shooting the movie “Love and Other Drugs” opposite Jake Gyllenhaal helped Hathaway move forward, she said. Trust is a theme of the film, and it forced Hathaway to confront the issue.

“I was a wreck from start to finish,” Hathaway told Vogue. “I think I cried every single day.”

The Oscar-nominated actress is now dating actor Adam Shulman.

Husband: Sutherland had modesty streak

GENEVA — Joan Sutherland’s husband says the late soprano never recognized her own greatness despite receiving wide public acclaim and being compared to the legendary Maria Callas.

Richard Bonynge said Sutherland, who died in her Geneva home Oct. 10 at age 83, “never thought she was anybody very special.”

He said the Australian-born Sutherland always enjoyed a good relationship with the temperamental Callas.

Bonynge also said Sutherland initially resisted his efforts to steer her into Italian bel canto opera, but she soon flourished in those roles.

Military objects to show on Prince Harry ‘kidnap’

 

LONDON — Britain’s defense chief demanded Monday that a TV channel withdraw a drama that looks at the crisis that could have ensued if Prince Harry had been kidnapped during the 10 weeks her served in Afghanistan in 2008.

Channel 4 was planning to show the 90-minute film, called “The Taking Of Prince Harry,” this week. The program explores the political ramifications of a high-profile abduction and features contributions from ex-hostages and intelligence experts.

A Ministry of Defense spokeswoman confirmed that Air Chief Marshal Jock Stirrup wrote to Channel 4’s chairman, but declined to comment on the letter’s contents.

The Press Association quoted an anonymous defense source as saying Stirrup’s letter raised concerns that the program could undermine the security of British troops in Afghanistan.

Warrants issued for Quaids

 

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. — A prosecutor says actor Randy Quaid and his wife failed to show up at a court hearing stemming from their arrests last month on suspicion of illegally squatting at a home.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Lee Carter says a judge issued $50,000 warrants after the couple failed to appear for an arraignment Monday on a felony vandalism charge. The couple’s case will be called again Oct. 26.

Deputies arrested the Quaids last month on suspicion they were living in the guest house of a Montecito home they no longer own.