BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — New year, new Lindsay Lohan?

That appears to be the hope of Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Elden S. Fox, who on Friday ordered the starlet to remain in rehab until January. In doing so he ended any short-term plans for the actress’ comeback, but also followed the recommendations of medical professionals who say the “Mean Girls” star is only beginning to realize the depths of her addiction.

He also slyly removed one potential source of temptation and relapse.

“You’re staying past the New Year’s – there’s a reason for that,” Fox said.

Lohan, who was in court for her fifth time since May, cried after hearing the sentence for failing a recent drug test.

The ruling allowed Lohan to avoid a fourth trip to jail, but it wasn’t exactly the outcome the actress was hoping for in advance of the hearing.

Lohan’s probation report states she told an officer last week that she hoped to be released from the Betty Ford Clinic in Rancho Mirage, Calif. after one month and cited financial worries. She told the officer that “continued inpatient treatment would be a hardship financially, and damaging to her career,” according to the report.

The 20-acre addiction treatment hospital is not cheap – three months of inpatient treatment can cost nearly $50,000, according to its website.

Lohan cited problems with her clothing line and an upcoming role as porn star Linda Lovelace in a biopic as reasons for wanting to get out, the report stated.

The movie, however, will wait for Lohan.

“Inferno” writer-director Matthew Wilder says Lohan’s rehab won’t interfere with role and that production was already set to begin in mid-January.

“It looks good and we are not replacing (her),” he said Friday.

Fox warned Lohan that she could suffer further damage to her career if she did not succeed.

News photographers in India say Russell Brand’s bodyguards assaulted four of them

RANTHAMBHORE NATIONAL PARK, India — Four news photographers Friday said that they were punched by two men accompanying British comedian Russell Brand when they were taking pictures of Brand at an Indian tiger reserve, one day before his scheduled wedding to American pop singer Katy Perry.

According to Associated Press photographer Mustaf Quraishi, who was one of the four photographers injured, Brand himself looked on during the assault as the photographers tried to defend themselves before being left stranded in the wild animal park.

The photographers said they had been following about 330 feet behind two jeeps – one carrying Brand, an unidentified woman, a man and two children, and the second carrying two men, one of whom was later described by police as Brand’s friend and wedding guest. The other apparently was a bodyguard.