ADDRESS: 40 Church St.

DENOMINATION/AFFILIATION: United Methodist

HISTORY: The first Methodist church in Damariscotta was built between 1840 and 1850. The first church building was similar to most churches of the time, with a belfry from which the bell called worshipers to service each week.

In 1871, a storm blew the steeple off. The steeple was rebuilt and the bell re-hung. In 1913, it was decided to build a smaller church.

In 1935, the Methodist Conference decided to close the church, and it remained closed until 1960. In 1987, new fellowship rooms were created, providing room for Sunday school, fellowship and other events.

DUMC holds a traditional service in which the congregation sings hymns, recites the Apostles’ Creed and prays for those who ask for prayer. The Rev. Delsa Mock, a South African-born pastor, delivers a Scripture-based sermon.

PLANS: Damariscotta United Methodist Church plans to expand its choir, increase its use of musical instruments and conduct sing-along services at the assisted living facility across the street.

The church has a set of drums and would like to start a youth band. It also would like to develop a PowerPoint presentation for the service.

The church reaches out to the community regularly with baskets for Thanksgiving to local families, Christmas gifts for needy families and thanking community public servants with goodies.

WORSHIP SERVICES: 9 to 10 a.m. Sunday. Special services are held on Palm Sunday, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Choir practice is at 8:30 a.m. Sundays.

CONTACT: 563-1627; www.damariscottaumc.webs.com