ADDRESS: 885 Shore Road

DENOMINATION/AFFILIATION: The Episcopal Diocese of Maine and the Episcopal Church, USA

HISTORY: St. Alban’s Episcopal Church began its life as a mission church on June 21, 1914, under a tent set up on the grounds at Fort Williams. During its first 20 years, St. Alban’s Mission was a summer chapel serving Army officers stationed at Fort Williams and summer residents of Cape Elizabeth.

After occupying a small building on the South Portland-Cape Elizabeth line for several years, the congregation celebrated its first Eucharist in a new church building at its present location, 885 Shore Road, in 1956. In the years that followed, the church reached out to the community through grilled chicken dinners, a children’s clothing trading post and Boy Scouts.

June 2001 marked the beginning of a new phase in the life of St. Alban’s as a new building brought together the church and the parish hall, where most of the congregation’s activities take place. Since then, the congregation has experienced considerable growth, especially in young families.

Today, the tradition of opening the church doors wide to the community continues with a variety of programs and activities for adults and children. The Rev. John Balicki, priest in charge, the Venerable Audrey S. Delafield, deacon, and many working in the congregation have imbued the church with a sense of comfort and family where people can come as they are and ask or not ask questions about faith, family, community and life. 

HAITI PARTNERSHIP: The church’s Haiti partnership began in February 2007. Through the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti Partnership Program, St. Alban’s Church joined forces with St. Luke’s in Wilton and entered into partnership with St. Luc’s Church and School in Trou du Nord, Haiti.

St. Luc’s School and Church are in an agricultural region of northern Haiti about 45 minutes outside of Cap-Haitien. The school serves students in pre-K through eighth grade.

The need at the school is very great. Until recently, a substantial part of the building lacked a roof. There were no means of securing supplies or food. There is no lunch.

However, because of a substantial grant recently received on behalf of St. Luc’s School, and because of contributions from many people during this fall’s “Raise the Roof” campaign, construction began in August to complete the school.

This project will address the school’s most basic needs: a roof, railings, doors, windows and much-needed repairs. It will allow the school to apply for food assistance and begin a lunch program, providing a daily meal for children who might otherwise go without.

Still, the partnership is more than charity. It provides the opportunity to deepen relationships and develop a fuller understanding of human needs.

WORSHIP SERVICES: St. Alban’s holds worship services at 8 and 9:30 a.m. Sundays. Nursery care and Christian education programs for children are offered during the 9:30 a.m. service, which also features St. Alban’s Chancel Choir. There is also a candlelight service at 5:30 p.m. every Sunday.

All are welcome to attend Christmas Eve services at 4, 6 and 10 p.m.

CONTACT: 799-4014; [email protected]