AUGUSTA — A Canaan man who spent 41 months in federal prison for bank fraud and writing bad checks is at it again.
Arthur James Mollo III, 45, pleaded guilty Tuesday in Kennebec County Superior Court to two counts of theft by deception and one count of forgery.
He was ordered jailed for 15 months in a state prison for writing bad checks to buy chain saws and snow blowers on Dec. 10, 2009, and Dec. 14, 2009, from two Sidney businesses and on Nov. 30, 2009, from a Skowhegan business.
Mollo, who was given credit for the seven months or so he has been held on the charges, is to serve 33 more months in federal custody for violating his supervised release. He also was ordered to pay restitution of $8,512.
Mollo had been released from federal prison on Sept. 4, 2009, shortly before the most recent spate of charges arose. He’s been jailed since December 2009.
Kennebec County Assistant District Attorney Brad Grant said a coordinated prosecution was worked out between state and federal authorities.
“We concluded he should not be on the streets anytime soon,” Grant said.
Mollo pleaded guilty in December 2006 to bank fraud after police said he and several others defrauded TD BankNorth by cashing 60 counterfeit checks worth more than $30,000.
In October 2009, he pleaded guilty to four counts of theft by deception, for thefts in Waterville, Augusta, China and Jackman; and one count of negotiating a worthless instrument, in Farmington, all March 28 to June 3, 2006. That sentence was concurrent to a 41-month federal term he’d already served.
A number of other people were sentenced in separate cases heard Tuesday and Wednesday in Kennebec County Superior Court:
* Wendell M. Baker, 26, of North Vassalboro, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon and domestic violence assault Aug. 31, 2010, in Vassalboro; three-year jail sentence, all but six months suspended, two years’ probation.
* Thomas J. Nadeau, 73, of Brewer, operating after habitual offender revocation Sept. 9, 2010, in Sidney; three-year prison sentence, $1,000 fine.
* Alexander F. Poulin, 25, of Augusta, operating while license suspended or revoked Aug. 3, 2010, in Gardiner; $1,000 fine.
* Nicholas Drayton, 30, of Wayne, unlawful possession of hydrocodone, cultivating marijuana and receiving stolen property Oct. 26, 2010, and unlawful possession of scheduled drug and violating condition of release Nov. 17, 2010, all in Wayne; three-year jail sentence, all but 120 days suspended, two years’ probation, $900 fine,
* Henry L. Raymond, 47, of Oxford, formerly of Pittston, cultivating marijuana Aug. 6, 2010, in Pittston; $2,000 fine.
* Andrea L. Mitchell, 41, of Waterville, theft by unauthorized taking or transfer Aug. 7, 2010, in Waterville; three-year jail sentence, all suspended, two years’ probation.
Betty Adams — 621-5631