PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Former reality TV star Richard Hatch, who spent more than three years in prison for tax evasion, should go back behind bars for violating the conditions of his supervised release, federal prosecutors recommended Monday.

Hatch was convicted in 2006 of failing to pay taxes on the $1 million prize he won on the debut season of “Survivor,” the CBS reality TV show. He was released from prison in 2009 and placed on a three-year term of supervised release.

Federal probation officials accused Hatch last month of violating the terms of his release by failing to file amended tax returns for the years 2000 and 2001, something he was ordered to do when he was sentenced to prison more than four years ago.

A judge agreed that Hatch was in violation but withheld punishment until he could hear more from both sides.

Hatch, who owes about $1.7 million in back taxes, has said he didn’t refile his taxes because he has an appeal pending with the U.S. Tax Court. His lawyer, Mary McElroy, argued in court papers Monday that Hatch was merely following proper procedure in not submitting new returns while his appeal was pending and asked the judge to keep him out of jail.

Actor known for ‘Scream’ series checks out of rehab

NEW YORK — David Arquette’s publicist says the actor has checked out of rehab.

In an e-mail Monday to The Associated Press, Cindy Guagenti confirms the 39-year-old actor left Sunday after completing treatment for alcohol and other problems. He entered an undisclosed rehab center nearly a month ago.

Arquette and Courteney Cox announced their separation in October after 11 years of marriage. They have a 6-year-old daughter, Coco.

The couple met on the set of the movie “Scream” in 1996 and married three years later. They are co-starring in the fourth installment of the “Scream” series, due out this year.

Halle Berry quits film to battle for custody

 

LOS ANGELES — Halle Berry has pulled out of a film job to prepare for a custody fight over her young daughter.

A spokeswoman for the Oscar-winning actress says Berry backed out of a role in “New Year’s Eve” that was scheduled to shoot in New York this week “due to pending custody litigation involving her daughter.”

Publicist Meredith O’Sullivan did not say where or when the custody case would be heard.

Berry and her ex-boyfriend, Gabriel Aubry, have a daughter, Nahla, who will turn 3 in March.

Attempts to reach Aubry on Monday were unsuccessful.

Singer’s Miami show a no go

 

NEW YORK — Juanes is canceling his April 15 concert at AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami because it was to fall on the 50th anniversary of the Bay of Pigs Invasion, a source close to the singer told The Associated Press.

The source, who did not want to be identified, said that when the Miami show was booked, the Colombian singer didn’t realize it was the anniversary and that it was the only date available at the time.

“Cuban exiles are pressuring us and the sponsors not to do it. … It’s not a date to celebrate in Miami,” said the source. “The pressure is big.”

A new date will be announced in the next few days. Tickets for the concert were already on sale.