PORTLAND — Portland police this afternoon identified the victim of a fatal fire on Grant Street as 43-year-old Ronald Sapaukas.

Lt. Gary Rogers said the state Medical Examiner’s Office determined that Sapaukas died from smoke inhalation during the fire, which was reported early Tuesday morning at 65 Grant St.

Rogers said Sapaukas’ clothing caught fire as he stood near the electrical stove in his kitchen. Investigators said he suffered severe burns. Sapaukas was rushed to Maine Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Rogers said the fire has been determined to be accidental.