Dement reschedules shows due to a family emergency

Country-folk performer Iris Dement has rescheduled concerts in Maine set for today and Friday because of a family emergency.

The shows, originally scheduled for today at Stone Mountain Arts Center in Brownfield and Friday at Jonathan’s in Ogunquit, have been moved to Aug. 25 and 26, respectively.

Ticket holders for the show at Jonathan’s who cannot attend the Aug. 26 show can contact Caitlan Etchevers at 646-4777 to request a refund.

For more information about the rescheduled show at Stone Mountain Arts Center, call 935-7292 or go to www.stonemountainarts


Pair indicted on 47 charges for alleged February spree

A couple from eastern Maine have been indicted on 47 charges for an alleged crime spree in February that included a home invasion to steal cash and drugs

Michael Bailey of Calais and Amanda Fowler of Robbinston, both 27, were indicted Tuesday by a Washington County grand jury.

According to the Bangor Daily News, charges include robbery, burglary, criminal threatening and other offenses.

Bailey is accused of entering a Baring Plantation home Feb. 26 while wearing a mask and holding six victims hostage for about 30 minutes before fleeing with money and cocaine.

The following morning, a homeowner in Baileyville told police he shot a masked gunman who broke into his home. Bailey was suffering from a gunshot wound to his face and ear when arrested a few hours later.


Senators confirm nominee for UMS Board of Trustees

The Maine Senate has confirmed former U.S. Navy aviator and retired admiral Gregory “Grog” Johnson for a seat on the University of Maine System’s 16-member Board of Trustees.

By a 34-0 vote Wednesday, senators accepted without debate a committee recommendation to confirm Gov. Paul LePage’s nominee.

Johnson, who lives in Harpswell, is a graduate of Caribou High School and 1968 graduate of the University of Maine. He became a naval aviator in 1970, graduated from the Naval War College with highest distinction and served three decades in the Navy. Johnson retired in 2004.


Peahen captured; peacock continues to roam streets

There’s a mysterious peacock roaming the streets of Kennebunk.

For three weeks the bird has been staying one step ahead of the people who have tried to capture it.

Until last week the peacock had been joined on the run by its partner, a peahen.

No one knows where the birds came from.

Kennebunk Animal Control Officer Rebecca Parker said the first report of the birds came on April 21. There have been at least eight sightings in the following days.

The pair spent a few days relaxing at Mille Fleur Farm where owner Judith Hunt said she enjoyed watching them and hearing them call to each other.

The Portsmouth Herald said the captured peahen is being cared for at a local farm.


Drug agents seize 280 bags of heroin and arrest couple

Maine drug agents say they’ve seized about 280 bags of heroin along with hypodermic needles, scales and firearms from a home in Thomaston.

Agents with the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency, along with Thomaston and Rockland police, arrested 42-year-old Stephen Darney after searching his home Tuesday.

Darney was charged with heroin trafficking and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person. His wife, 40-year-old Kathleen Darney, was charged with heroin possession.

Police said the heroin had a street value of about $6,200.


Man sentenced for catching, selling endangered salmon

A 40-year-old Dover-Foxcroft man has been sentenced to six months in prison for illegally catching and selling endangered Atlantic salmon from the Piscataquis River.

Mark Cox was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Bangor.

Cox pleaded guilty in February to violating the Lacey Act, which prohibits the taking or selling of an endangered species.

According to the Bangor Daily News, Cox told investigators that he caught the fish in August 2009 for sport, but that his dire financial situation led him to sell the catch when he was approached by an undercover agent.

Judge John Woodcock said he was “distraught” that Cox went after an endangered species. He said society has managed to drive salmon away and that the fish Cox caught were survivors.


Man set fire to two houses, hung self, officials suspect

The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating an arson fire at a summer cottage where a man’s body was found in what officials are calling an apparent suicide.

Authorities say they were called Tuesday night to a blaze on Medeika Lane in the central Maine town of Washington. The camp was destroyed, and the 37-year-old man who owned it was found hanging from a beam at the nearby garage.

Investigators say the man also set fire to his mother’s house, but damages were minor and his mother was not home at the time.