BRUNSWICK — The fire that badly damaged the Unitarian Universalist Church in Brunswick was caused by faulty wiring, an investigation has determined.

The fire at the 200-year-old church on Pleasant Street started in old wiring at the rear of the building and spread up the back and through the attic, said Fire Chief Ken Brillant. However, firefighters were able to save most of the building and all but one of the stained-glass windows.

They also were able to recover a Bible handed down from poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Brillant said.

The fire was reported by a passer-by at about 1 a.m. today.