WESTBROOK — An employee’s quick response allowed Westbrook firefighters to make quick work of a fire in the basement of a downtown building that houses a dry cleaner, hair stylist and multiple apartments.

Firefighters were called to 947 Main St., home of Village Dry Cleaners, at 9:30 a.m. after an employee who smelled smoke discovered a fire in the basement, said Public Safety Director Michael Pardue. The worker called immediately, allowing for a quick response, Pardue said.

Firefighters found that a malfunction in the boiler caused a buildup of oils on the basement floor that ignited, he said. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze and vent the building of smoke so that residents and workers could return.

One firefighter was treated for a shoulder injury that resulted from maneuvering hoses that were fully charged with water, Pardue said. Firefighters for Gorham and Portland assisted in the response.

10:28 a.m.

WESTBROOK — Westbrook firefighters are at the scene of a fire at Village Dry Cleaners on Main Street, according to the city’s emergency dispatch.

The crews had the fire under control as of 10 a.m. and there were no injuries reported. Details about the cause and the extent of damage are not yet available.

The fire and emergency response has disrupted traffic around the building at 947 Main St.