SCARBOROUGH – The top-ranked Scarborough High girls’ lacrosse team held off third-seeded Kennebunk on Wednesday night to earn a return trip to the Class A state championship game.

With grit and teamwork, the Red Storm prevailed 9-6 in a game between two of the deepest teams in girls’ lacrosse this season.

Scarborough (13-1) will face Brunswick (11-3) for the Class A championship at 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Fitzpatrick Stadium in Portland.

“This is such an unbelievable feeling, knowing we stepped it up and got it done,” said senior captain Kelsey Howard, who scored three goals.

“We knew we had the talent but had to put it together. We started strong tonight and stayed strong.”

Coach Marcia Wood lost some stellar players from last year, and said she told her team to take it one game at a time this season.

“We proved one game at a time works,” said Wood. “And tonight I told the girls every pass counts. Every ground ball counts. Just know your role and push to the end. We’ve seen Kennebunk come back.”

Scarborough ran to a 3-0 lead in a five-minute span with goals by Mary Scott two minutes into the game, then back-to-back goals by Howard at 21:59 and then 20:04.

Camille Auger scored for Kennebunk (12-3) at 13:58 before Maggie Smith of the Red Storm roofed a shot over the top to make it 4-1 at 10:19.

Taylor Crowley of Kennebunk made it 4-2 at 4:05 before Smith scored again to make it 5-2.

Auger scored on a free possession with 1:10 to play in the half, cutting across the goal mouth, then shooting high left corner to make it 5-3 at the half.

The Rams’ shot selection early in the game contributed to a lack of goals.

“I really feel we didn’t play as well as a team as we could have,” said Coach Annie Barker. “I think we were forcing the ball and not taking good shots.”

Kennebunk made it a one-goal game with a score by Abi Bradford just 47 seconds into the second half, but the Red Storm tacked on two more.

Laura Przybylowicz struck with 20:31 to go, then Scott scored another with 17:35 remaining to make it 7-4.

Auger scored a nifty goal, cutting across the zone with a fake and shot to make it 7-5, but Scarborough got two more to run it to 9-5 with scores by Howard and Scott.

Rose Bryant picked up a goal with 4:38 remaining, but Kennebunk was unable to score again.

Kennebunk also played a man down with 2:45 left, when Auger was sent off the field with a yellow card.

Scarborough goalie Meg Kirsch came up big with 11 saves.

Staff Writer Jenn Menendez can be contacted at 791-6426 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: JennMenendez