BUXTON — The fire that badly damaged a Buxton house Wednesday night was accidental, fire officials said this morning.

The fire at 11 Rocky Dundee Road was noticed by neighbors at about 10 p.m., said Fire Chief Bruce Mullen. Flames were coming from the back of the building, he said.

Firefighters were able to get inside and extinguish the blaze quickly, but there was still extensive damage to the interior and the roof is sagging, Mullen said.

Nobody was injured.

Nobody was living at the house while it was being renovated by owner Mike Carrier and investigators believe the fire started as a result of some plumbing work that involved a torch, Mullen said.

Firefighters from Hollis and Standish helped.