PORTLAND – Nemanja Kaurin scored a goal and set up another to lead the South Portland Red Riots to a 2-0 victory over the Deering Rams in an SMAA boys’ soccer game Tuesday night at Memorial Field.

Kaurin’s goal came off a penalty kick that was awarded to the Red Riots after a violent collision in the penalty area between South Portland striker Dan Grazewski and Deering goalkeeper Jamie Gullbrand. The two players were racing toward a loose ball when they slammed into one another, leaving Grazewski writhing in pain on the turf with what was termed a serious leg injury.

After a 20-minute delay he was taken off the field on a stretcher and to a hospital by ambulance.

“Personally, I think that he (Grazewski) got there first and the ball was through,” said Kaurin, who has seven goals this season. “Then, when the goalie hits him like that, that should be a straight red (card), at least a yellow.

“I was kind of disappointed that the goalie was able to stay on the field. I don’t think he had any intention to hurt him but that’s got to be a yellow or a red card because our guy would have scored.”

Kaurin made no mistake on the penalty kick, burying it to the right of a diving Gullbrand for the 1-0 lead.

“We handled ourselves pretty well (after the injury),” said South Portland Coach Bryan Hoy. “I thought we had possession of the game before then, we just hadn’t cracked the back of the net.”

The Red Riots (3-1-1) continued to push after the opening goal with numerous scoring opportunities only to be continually rebuffed by Gullbrand.

“It was definitely hard after the injury and delay and then one of our best players, (Stephen Ochan, injured on a separate play), they took him out and he was gone for the game,” Gullbrand said. “He usually controls the middle and he was gone.”

Deering (3-3) actually looked to have the upper hand in the opening 10 minutes of the contest when it put together a couple of promising chances. David Ndayishimiye had a hand in both. First, he sent a pass ahead that eventually found Brandon Saucier, who shot high and wide.

Two minutes later Ndayishimiye created his own opportunity with a steal followed by a slick move to shake free of coverage before releasing a long shot that was scooped up by South Portland keeper Shawn Shannon.

After that, Shannon was rarely tested.

South Portland finished the scoring 15 minutes into the second half when Kaurin threaded a pass through to Damjan Draskovic, who received the ball in full stride before sending a rolling shot past Gullbrand for a 2-0 lead.

“We’re getting there but we still have a little ways to go,” Hoy said of his team’s performance.

“I think we can compete with the top teams and we’ll find out on Thursday. Windham’s one of the better teams around so that’s going to be a tough game for us.”