GORHAM – Bonny Eagle didn’t lead in Friday night’s football game until quarterback Tyson Goodale broke free for a 54-yard touchdown run with 1:36 to play, giving the Scots a 29-22 victory against Gorham.

The win was the third straight for Bonny Eagle (3-3). Gorham is now also 3-3.

“(Bonny Eagle coach Kevin) Cooper has them turning it around,” Rams Coach Dave Kilborn said. “They’re a dangerous team and they’re running on all cylinders.”

Goodale paced the Scots with 11 carries for 90 yards and three touchdowns, and 7-of-9 completions for 165 yards. Nick Adkins gained 90 yards on 12 carries.

But it was Gorham that was unstoppable early.

The Rams scored on their first three possessions and led 22-8.

Gorham pounded away all game in its double-wing offense, gaining 330 yards on 67 carries.

Nick Kilborn and Brad Turnbaugh both rushed for 108 yards. Matt McKenney added 10 yards.

The Rams dominated the time of possession — 33 minutes to 15 minutes.

But Gorham’s two long drives in the second half — of 14 and 15 plays, respectively — both stalled, one at the Scots’ 30, the other at the Scots’ 11.

“When they get rolling on offense, putting together those long drives, you have to keep playing and try to stop them,” Cooper said.

The bend-but-not-break theory worked.

Bonny Eagle kept it close at halftime — down 22-15 — on two big pass plays, from Goodale to Cam Cooper, for 45 and 39 yards. Both set up short touchdown runs.

The Scots took the opening kickoff and drove 78 yards, capped by Adkins’ 14-yard run, making it 22-22.

Then the Rams hogged the ball on offense but Bonny Eagle made the key stops.

“We had some second-half adjustments,” linebacker Anthony Ciampi said. “But we just had to play with a lot of heart.”

With five minutes left, Gorham faced a fourth-and-3 from the Scots’ 13. Ciampi tackled Turnbaugh, holding him to a 2-yard gain.

Bonny Eagle went three plays and out, but punter Harrison Loring sent the Rams back to their 36 with a 50-yard punt and roll.

The Rams got to the 43 and faced a fourth-and-3. They went for it but a short pass fell incomplete. Bonny Eagle took over with 1:55 to play.

Goodale had a big first-down gain nullified by a block-in-the back penalty. As the Scots walked backward, Cooper extolled them from the sideline.

“Keep your heads up. We’re going to score,” he called out.

Goodale paid attention. He took the shotgun snap, faked to Adkins, broke right, found a hole and sprinted toward the right sideline and a touchdown.

“We had things that would work on offense when we weren’t shooting ourselves in the foot,” Cooper said.

Gorham reached midfield in the closing seconds but Matt Burnell ended the game with an interception.

Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at: [email protected]

Twitter: ClearTheBases