BOSTON – Dale Sveum remembers good times and tough times in Boston. Now he’d like another chance with the Red Sox – as manager.

Boston interviewed Sveum, currently the Milwaukee Brewers’ hitting coach, for its open managerial job Wednesday.

A third-base coach with the Red Sox in 2004 and ’05, Sveum was the second person interviewed by the Red Sox, who brought in Philadelphia bench coach Pete Mackanin on Monday.

“It was the greatest experience I could ever have; we won the World Series in ’04,” said Sveum, who turns 48 this month. “For being a coach or a staff member or whatever you want to call it, it’s the ultimate place you want to be.”

Sveum has some big-game managerial experience on his resume. He managed Milwaukee for the final 12 games of the 2008 regular season and the playoffs after Ned Yost was fired.

“You never know until you’re thrown right into the fire, but then I felt right at home,” Sveum said.

Sveum’s time in Boston wasn’t always full of great moments. He was criticized a number of times for his aggressive approach that had runners cut down at the plate.

“The thing about when I was judged as a third-base coach, you get scrutinized,” he said. “I’m glad I was scrutinized for being aggressive instead of passive. I’m not a passive person. I’m a very aggressive person and always have been.”

But he thinks spending time with the Red Sox gave him a better understanding of the intensity in Boston.

“The thing about the passion of the fans here and the media, it was kind of – I don’t want to say it was comical – but if you do the same thing in Milwaukee, there’s nothing said about it,” he said. “Don’t get me wrong, I made a couple of decisions I’d like to have back or a couple of comments in the paper.”

General Manager Ben Cherington said the exclusive five-day negotiating period for Red Sox free agents David Ortiz and Jonathan Papelbon likely will pass without any deals.

“We expected that 12:01 will arrive without them being signed here,” Cherington said. “I don’t think it changes much. I think we’ll continue the dialogue and plan to talk to (Ortiz) again soon and (Papelbon’s) agent later in the week – tomorrow or the next day. We’ll keep in touch but I wouldn’t expect any closure on those guys anytime soon.”

CUBS: Manager Mike Quade was fired in the first major move by Theo Epstein since becoming the team’s president of baseball operations.

Epstein, who was introduced in his new position last week, said Quade, 54, wouldn’t return after traveling to Florida to tell him in person. He called Quade an “outstanding baseball guy” but it was time for a change.

RANGERS: Infielder Andres Blanco was outrighted off the 40-man roster after clearing waivers. 

DODGERS: Los Angeles added outfielder Alfredo Silverio and first baseman-outfielder Scott Van Slyke to its 40-man roster. 

SHORTY RAUDMAN, an outfielder who played for the Chicago Cubs in 1966-67, is in jail in Minnesota, awaiting a civil commitment hearing.

Prosecutors said Raudman, 69, was arrested in St. Louis County after hitting his wife. But after a psychologist determined Raudman was mentally incompetent, a judge dismissed a domestic assault charge and ordered the commitment hearing. 

TWINS: Tom Brunansky will serve as the hitting coach for Triple-A Rochester, N.Y., next season.

Brunansky spent last season as the hitting coach for Double-A New Britain. 

DIAMONDBACKS: Catcher Henry Blanco declined his end of a $1.15 million mutual option. The Diamondbacks exercised their options Monday on Blanco and infielder Willie Bloomquist, but both opted to become free agents.

Arizona also declined options on left-hander Zach Duke and infielder Aaron Hill.

Infielder John McDonald agreed to terms on a two-year, $3 million contract.