SEBAGO

Warden service investigates shooting of Sebago hunter

The Maine Warden Service on Sunday was investigating the fatal shooting of a hunter a day earlier.

Wardens said Peter Kolofsky, 46, of Sebago was wearing hunter orange when he was shot Saturday afternoon. He died at the scene.

Officials said Kolofsky was shot by William Briggs, 61, of Windham. Both men were deer hunting, but they were not hunting in the same party.

No summonses had been issued and no charges had been filed Sunday.

Saturday’s shooting came a day after two other hunting-related shootings in Maine. A New Hampshire man was in critical condition after being shot in the stomach in Casco. In Oxford, a hunter was shot in the lower leg by a friend.

The Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife said Kolofsky was the first hunting fatality in the Maine woods since 2008. Last year, there were seven shooting incidents, all of them involving bird and turkey hunters.

CARATUNK

Madison man hospitalized after all-terrain vehicle crash

A Madison man out for the last ride of the season on his all-terrain vehicle was hospitalized after a crash Sunday.

Game Warden Rick Clowry said Glen Dow, 58, suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries while riding with three other ATV operators on a remote trail along Chase Pond Road about 9 a.m. Clowry said Dow was riding on his Polaris ATV at the rear of the group.

“The left rear wheel came off and launched Dow 50 feet into a ditch,” Clowry said.

A fellow rider called for help after walking to where he could get cellphone reception. Dow was placed aboard a LifeFlight helicopter in Bingham and flown to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

A spokesman at EMMC did not have any information on Dow later Sunday.

Clowry said Dow sustained injuries to his ribs, hands and knees. The warden said Dow was wearing a helmet, which likely prevented more serious injuries.

Clowry said he did not believe that operator error contributed to the accident, and speed and alcohol were not factors.

BERWICK

Three require treatment after Pinehill Road fire

Three people were treated for smoke inhalation from a house fire Sunday morning.

The fire, reported about 7 a.m. in the basement of a home at 119 Pinehill Road, was under control by 7:30 a.m. No serious injuries were reported, Berwick emergency officials said.

Information about the cause of the fire and other details were not immediately available.

AUGUSTA

Rights commission getting a new executive director

The Maine Human Rights Commission is getting a new executive director.

Amy Sneirson’s first day on the job will be Jan. 3. She replaces Patricia Ryan, who retired in June after 32 years at the helm.

Sneirson is a lawyer who has worked at the Maine Center of Deafness since 2006. She previously worked with the Portland law firm of Murray, Plumb and Murray.

The commission is an independent state agency that enforces Maine’s anti-discrimination law, the Maine Human Rights Act.

FALMOUTH

Surf and turf is the winner at New England cook-off

Surf and turf was the winning recipe at a cook-off sponsored by the Hood dairy company at Portland’s Ocean Gateway terminal Sunday night.

Dan Rinaldi, a firefighter from Cranston, R.I., won the grand prize of $10,000 for his surf and turf sliders with Maine lobster sauce.

Falmouth resident Jessie Grearson won second place with her Tandoori Express Chicken Naanwiches with Sour Cream Raita and Buttermilk Mango Lassi.

In its third year, the Hood New England Dairy Cook-Off is open to amateur cooks throughout New England. Recipes must include Hood dairy products.

Among the judges at Sunday’s event was Tom Pizzica, host of the Food Network show “Outrageous Food.”

Judges rated recipes on taste, presentation and appearance and creativity and originality.

SCARBOROUGH

Firefighters put out blaze at Castle Kitchens building

Scarborough firefighters extinguished a small fire at Castle Kitchens at 137 Pleasant Hill Road on Sunday morning.

Capt. Hank Foster said the fire started about 6:20 a.m. at the kitchen design business.

Foster said it appeared the fire was ignited in wooden templates by a nearby space heater. The fire was under control in about 20 minutes.

No one was hurt. There was minor smoke and water damage to the building.