LOS ANGELES – An attorney for a woman who claims Justin Bieber is the father of her baby boy said Wednesday her lawsuit has been withdrawn as both camps await a paternity test.

Chicago-based lawyer Jeffrey Leving told The Associated Press the suit filed in San Diego Superior Court by Mariah Yeater, 20, was recently removed without prejudice. However, the lawsuit could be refiled at a later date.

“We are trying to settle this matter out of court with Bieber’s camp,” Leving said.

Yeater claims she had just turned 19 when she and Bieber, then 16, had a brief sexual encounter after one of the singer’s concerts last fall in a backstage backroom at Los Angeles’ Staples Center.

Bieber has said he’s never met Yeater and has denied allegations that he fathered Yeater’s son, who was born in July.

Matthew Hiltzik, a spokesman for the teen heartthrob, said Bieber intends to submit to a paternity test in the coming weeks.

“As we’ve said from the beginning, it’s sad that someone would fabricate such a malicious, defamatory and demonstrably false claim,” Hiltzik said. “We’ll continue to consider all of our options to protect Justin.”

Yeater has not come forward with any evidence to prove Bieber is the father, but her attorneys insist the paternity test will prove he has a son.

Leving said the media storm that has ensued combined with death threats made to Yeater were the main reasons the lawsuit was withdrawn.

“I will state right now it’s better that it’s handled out of court, which is in the best interests of everybody,” Leving said.

Yeater had to change her cell phone number because of threats made against her and she was recently harassed by someone who videotaped her as she was walking in a park with her son, Leving said. A private detective has been hired to investigate the threats.

Leving believes both camps will sign a confidentiality agreement that will keep the paternity results private but he realizes that scenario may not be possible.

“Hopefully the case can come to a safe and healthy conclusion,” Leving said.

Case against accused stalker dismissed

LOS ANGELES – A judge has dismissed a criminal charge against a man accused of stalking actress and singer Selena Gomez.

Superior Court Judge Edmund Willcox Clarke granted a motion by Brodnicki’s attorney to dismiss the case after ruling a prosecutor failed to show there was probable cause for the 46-year-old to stand trial.

Brodnicki, who has a history of mental illness, was arrested Oct. 31 and charged with stalking the “Wizards of Waverly Place” star between July and October. The actress did not attend Wednesday’s hearing.

Gomez has a temporary civil restraining order against Brodnicki. Mental health workers had notified authorities that he had threatened to kill the starlet.

Golden Globes bringing back acerbic host

LOS ANGELES – Ricky Gervais is returning as host of the Golden Globes.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced through Twitter on Wednesday that Gervais will take his third turn as Globes host in January.

Gervais left some wondering if he’d be back after his performance at this year’s show, when he took pointed jabs at Hollywood stars and the HFPA, which puts on the annual ceremony.

The 50-year-old comedian posted a YouTube clip on his Twitter page Wednesday of his biting opening monologue from the 2011 show, promising “This (times) 10.”

At the ceremony earlier this year, Gervais joked that the HFPA accepts bribes (just after the group was sued for allegations that it engaged in payola schemes) and swiped at stars such as Mel Gibson, Bruce Willis and Robert Downey Jr.

The HFPA acknowledged on its website that “not everyone is happy with the decision” to bring Gervais back.

The 69th annual Golden Globe Awards will be held Jan. 15.