FCC fines Google, says it impeded probe of mapping

The Federal Communications Commission has fined Google $25,000, saying the online search leader impeded an investigation into how it collected data while taking photos for its “Street View” mapping feature.

The FCC said in a report from Friday that Google Inc. “deliberately impeded and delayed” the investigation for months. The agency said that the online search leader did this by not responding to requests for information and documents.

At the same time, the FCC said it will not take action against Google over its data collection. Part of the reason for that is that it still has “significant factual questions” about the Street View project that haven’t been answered.

To get some answers, the FCC had subpoenaed a Google engineer who developed the software code that the company used to collect and store data. But the engineer, who is not named in the report, declined to testify, invoking his Fifth Amendment rights against incriminating himself.


Boy arrives at school, says his mother, sister are dead

A 9-year-old boy arrived at school Monday with a grisly story: His mother and sister were dead at their home four blocks away.

Minutes later, police found the bodies of a woman and a girl — along with a blood-covered man and an unharmed 4-year-old child — in the modest home in a West Las Vegas neighborhood.

The man, who had unspecified injuries, has not been identified as a suspect or charged. Police say the five people belong to a single family.

Police said the boy was uninjured when he arrived at Mabel Hoggard Elementary School, where his sister also was enrolled.

Clark County School District spokeswoman Amanda Fulkerson said the campus, with about 450 students in grades kindergarten through 5, was “struggling to sort out emotions and details of a tragedy that claimed the life of a student at home this weekend.”

Fulkerson wouldn’t provide details of the slayings but said school administrators quickly notified police about the boy’s report.


Search suspended for four yacht crew lost in race

The search for four yacht crew members thrown from their boat during a weekend race off Northern California was indefinitely suspended, with the Coast Guard saying the “window of survivability” had passed.

The four were part of an eight-member crew racing around the Farallon Islands Saturday when their sailboat was hit by powerful waves that forced it onto rocks.

The body of one crew member was pulled from the water hours after the accident. The three remaining crew members were rescued.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Caleb Critchfield said the search was reluctantly halted at sundown Sunday and there were no plans to resume it, after aircraft and boats searched the ocean around the islands, about 27 miles from San Francisco, for more than 30 hours.

“There’s a window of survivability, and we searched well beyond that window,” he told The Associated Press.

The San Francisco Yacht Club identified the four as Alan Cahill of Tiburon, Calif.; Jordan Fromm of San Rafael, Calif.; Elmer Morrissey of Ireland; Alexis Busch of Larkspur, Calif.

Club director Ed Lynch he was deeply saddened by news the search had ended.