PELHAM, N.H. – Two children were severely injured in a fireworks explosion and fire that began on the rear deck of a Pelham home where fireworks were being set off, police said Wednesday.

In all, 11 people, including five children, were injured in the explosion reported at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Family members say an 8-month-old girl was injured, and a 2-year-old boy is in a medically induced coma.

“He was completely engulfed in flames,” the boy’s great-grandfather, Skip Harrington, told The Boston Globe.

Harrington said his granddaughter Jessica Bertini rushed into the fire to rescue her son Ben, who was standing near a large box of fireworks when it exploded.

“She ran through the flames to get him,” Harrington told the newspaper. Bertini, 32, also suffered burns but has been released from the hospital and is by Ben’s side.

“She’s out of her mind,” Harrington said.

He said one of the fireworks lodged itself in the boy’s arm.

The boy will be transferred to the Shriners Hospital in Boston, a leading center for pediatric burn care.

“It’s terrible,” he said. “He’s the nicest little boy.”

Separately, three children were hospitalized Tuesday while playing with sparklers on Rye Beach. Rye police said the children put sparklers inside a glass bottle and the bottle exploded.

About 30 people were at the Pelham home when the fireworks explosion occurred.

Pelham Police Lt. Brian McCarthy said at Wednesday news conference that fireworks were being “discharged” and there was a sudden explosion.

Pelham Fire Chief Jim Midgley said the state Legislature should take a hard look at controlling the personal use of fireworks and preached caution.

“This is a tragedy that most likely could have been prevented had precautions been taken,” Midgley said.

Pelham is about 35 miles southeast of Concord.