SCARBOROUGH – After settling for ties in two of its first four games, the unbeaten Scarborough boys’ soccer team is getting the hang of how to deal with what has become a more competitive Southern Maine Activities Association schedule.

“The league has changed,” Scarborough Coach Mark Diaz said. “Everybody is getting better. It’s great for the league. Every night you’ve got to earn it.”

The Red Storm earned it Thursday night by settling down to take control in the second half while rolling to a 3-1 win against Cheverus.

Dan Ornstein, Wyatt Omsberg and Charlie Mader scored as Scarborough improved to 3-0-2.

“In the first half, I think we were trying to do too much too fast, and everything was go-go-go,” Diaz said. “We just slowed it down, and I got people to stay in their positions. Patience is what we’re working on right now. In the second half, we were patient. We took our time, switched our point of attack a little bit, and I thought that paid off for us.”

The Red Storm held a 2-1 lead at the half, but the Stags (3-2) played them pretty even during the first 40 minutes.

“We only have three or four guys who have played at the varsity level, and I thought we competed with them,” Cheverus Coach Bill LeBlanc said. “As a group, we all competed. We’re different than last year. The potent offense is gone, so we’re trying to learn a different style and play more defensive.”

Ornstein opened the scoring 10 minutes into the game by running the ball into an open net. He got his foot on a rebound after Cheverus goalie Charlie Mull came well off his line to stop a long shot from Trevor Sparda.

Elijah Yeboah tied the score in the 23rd minute when he outraced two defenders for a long ball from Andrei Vile and beat goalie Pat Stanton from inside the penalty area.

The Red Storm regained the lead in the 28th minute when Omsberg put in a  penalty kick for the second straight game.

“I looked at the goalie first and picked a spot,” said Omsberg, a junior midfielder who transferred from Messalonskee High in Oakland. “It was a pressure situation, but I just tried to relax and hit it where I wanted to hit it.”

The Red Storm took control of the game during the second half, holding a 15-3 edge in shots during the final 40 minutes.

“In the second half, we played our game, and that really helped,” Omsberg said. “I don’t think it was our best half, but it was a strong half. It’s nice to play a good second half after playing a weak first half.”

Mader completed the scoring in the 61st minute when his rising blast from 30 yards hit a defender before settling inside the right post, far from Mull’s reach.

Staff Writer Paul Betit can be contacted at 791-6424 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: PaulBetitPPH