NEW YORK – Fashion may have been the focus of the Night of Stars gala in New York, but actress Sarah Jessica Parker was more interested in talking politics.

“I think there’s an enormous amount at stake, it concerns me,” the “Sex and the City” star said of the U.S. presidential election. She said she would be in “great despair” if President Obama lost the vote to Republican Mitt Romney.

“I’m speaking up for the 47 percent,” she said. “For women in this country who rely upon social programs — not because they’re lazy, not because they don’t want to work hard, not because they feel entitled — but because they need access to basic health care that we all, the privileged few or many of us, sort of take for granted.”

Parker was at the downtown soiree to present the Lord & Taylor Fashion Oracle Award to designer L’wren Scott, a celebrity favorite and staple of the red carpet.

Carolina Herrera won Fashion Group International’s top honor, the Superstar Award, presented by her longtime friend and client, Renee Zellweger.

“I’m really lucky. We’ve collaborated for so many years and she’s helped make the experience of being an actress and going to public events just extraordinary. Every event is memorable because of what she brings to it and the gift of these gorgeous gowns to help celebrate the occasions,” said Zellweger.

Past recipients of the Superstar award include Donna Karan, Giorgio Armani, Valentino, Karl Lagerfeld and Oscar de la Renta.

Actress Viola Davis presented Nicola Maramotti of Italian fashion house MaxMara with the Heritage Award. But the Oscar nominee said she is by no means a fashionista.

“No, not at all,” said Davis. “I can answer that immediately. I have a very good stylist. But I have to say I’m getting better with the help of my husband and the stylists, I now feel like you know it’s kind of my duty as a women to just feel beautiful when I walk outside. Not to compete with anyone. To stay in my lane, but to feel like I’m being my cutest self.”

Schwarzenegger will be back as Conan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LOS ANGELES – Arnold Schwarzenegger is coming back — as Conan the Barbarian.

Universal Pictures said California’s former governor will star in “The Legend of Conan,” an action film being developed for the actor. Deadline Hollywood was the first to report the news Friday.

The 65-year-old Schwarzenegger starred in two previous films about the mythic hero: 1982’s “Conan the Barbarian” and 1984’s “Conan the Destroyer.”

Schwarzenegger told Deadline he loves the character and is “honored” to play him again.

Timberlake apologizes for video joke

LOS ANGELES – Justin Timberlake is apologizing for a “silly, unsavory video” that shows homeless people offering congratulatory wishes to the pop star and his new bride, Jessica Biel.

Timberlake posted an open letter on his website Friday saying he didn’t know about the video or contribute to it.

He says the video “was made as a joke on me” and wasn’t shown at his wedding in Italy last week.

Timberlake called the video “distasteful” and said he’s deeply sorry to anyone offended by it. But he acknowledged that it was made by well-meaning friends.

The 19-second video is titled, “Greetings from your Hollywood friends who just couldn’t make it.” It shows three people who obviously don’t know the famous couple greeting them with wedding wishes.