AUGUSTA — Fire officials say an Augusta man is being treated for serious burns following a fire that started when he used gasoline to start a fire in his wood stove.

The state fire marshal’s office says 38-year-old Michael O’Leary was taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland after the Saturday morning blaze. His wife was treated at MaineGeneral in Augusta for smoke inhalation, and the family dog died.

Officials say the couple’s ranch-style home sustained heavy smoke and heat damage.

Fire Marshal Joe Thomas said homeowners should never use a flammable liquid to start a wood stove fire because the vapors are explosive and cause a fireball.