Man gets 3 years for Pittsfield pharmacy robbery
A Maine man has been sentenced to three years behind bars for robbing a Pittsfield pharmacy while he was on probation for a prior burglary conviction.
Michael Klaiber must also serve more than two additional years in jail for violating the terms of his probation, and got three years of probation at sentencing this week.
Prosecutors say the 30-year-old Klaiber, wearing sunglasses, a baseball hat covered by a hooded sweat shirt, sweat pants and gloves, went into the Rite Aid last May and demanded drugs.
A store clerk put a GPS device in the bag with some pills, which allowed police to track Klaiber and catch him.
His lawyer says he got away with five pills and apologized in court.
Money stolen from group that helps stray cats
A Maine group that takes care of stray and abandoned cats says somebody stole $1,000 it had raised in donations.
Forgotten Felines of Maine in Ellsworth says the money was raised last weekend at a craft fair in Brewer.
The executive director tells WABI-TV that somebody took the money out of a truck before it could be deposited into the organization’s account.
Forgotten Felines says it’s helped nearly 400 cats this year.
Police: Orono High student victim of cyberbullying
A 15-year-old Orono High School student police say is the victim of one of the most vicious cases of bullying they have ever seen is speaking out.
Alexis Henkel tells the Bangor Daily News the online harassment started in September. She says she received at least 27 death threats and was called all sorts of names.
She took a leave from school and her family even left their home on some occasions.
Veazie police Sgt. Keith Emery says the harassment was the most “violent, disgusting and vulgar” he’s seen in 24 years as an officer.
A 16-year-old girl who used to attend Orono High and now goes to another school has been charged with felony terrorizing and harassment by electronic communication.
Police say she thought Alexis was flirting with her boyfriend.
Former U.S. Senate candidate to run for governor in 2014
A former independent U.S. Senate candidate says he’s rejoined the Democratic Party and plans to run for governor.
Steve Woods’ announcement Thursday made him the first declared candidate for governor in 2014. Republican Gov. Paul LePage has formed a re-election committee but hasn’t announced whether he’ll seek a second term. That decision isn’t expected for another year or so.
Woods, whose 2012 Senate campaign never gained traction, said he used to be a Democrat before moving to Maine, and has decided to rejoin because his beliefs remain aligned with Democrats.
The Yarmouth businessman and Town Council chairman said he decided to announce his gubernatorial bid because he didn’t want to be “coy” about his political ambitions.
Police say they have suspect in third stabbing in two days
Police are investigating a stabbing, the third in the city in two days, that occurred near 200 Danforth St. at 2 a.m. Thursday.
A 33-year-old man was treated at Maine Medical Center for a serious cut to his neck after he was attacked by an acquaintance, police said.
Police believe they have a suspect but have not yet determined what led to the altercation. The two had been in Ruski’s, a neighborhood bar, earlier in the night.
Pedestrian taken to hospital after being hit by a vehicle
Portland police are investigating an accident that sent a 16-year-old boy to the hospital Thursday night.
Lt. Robert Ridge said the boy was crossing Preble Street near the Back Cove Trail and the Hannaford supermarket around 9 p.m. when he was hit by a car.
A witness said the boy had to be placed on a stretcher and put in an ambulance. He was taken to Maine Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, Ridge said.
The boy’s name was not available.
Gatherings, service planned for four victims of house fire
Friends of the family killed Nov. 10 in an Orrington house fire are invited to attend a viewing and service this weekend.
According to an obituary posted on the Brookings-Smith funeral home Web page, friends of Christine and Benjamin H. Johnson III are invited to the Lancaster Room of Hollywood Casino, Hotel and Raceway on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for refreshments and conversation.
That gathering will be followed by an opportunity to call on the family from 2 to 5 p.m. at the funeral home, 133 Center St.
Funerals for the 30-year-old Johnson and his children, Benjamin H. Johnson IV, 9, Leslie Leigh Johnson, 8, and Ryan Steven Johnson, 4, will be held at the funeral home on Sunday at 2 p.m. Interment ceremonies will be private.
Christine Johnson was the only family member to escape the fire. Her husband died while attempting to rescue their children.
Investigators said the fire started because cardboard boxes were stored too close to the wood stove.
— From staff and news services