Authorities look for driver who fled scene of crash
Police are trying to find someone who fled the scene of a car crash early Saturday.
The crash happened about 2:30 a.m. at Cumberland Avenue and Ocean Park Road.
Police said the driver responsible got out of the vehicle and fled.
Local police and Maine State Police searched the area for about an hour with the assistance of a police dog, but could not find the suspect.
The crash remains under investigation. Anyone with information should call the Saco Police Department at 284-4535.
Two men charged in theft of test tubes from school
Two Maine men have been arrested in the theft of a large number of glass test tubes from a high school chemistry lab.
Maine State Police said Tim Rooney, 28, of Fort Fairfield is charged with burglary and theft for breaking into Easton High School and stealing the tubes.
Erik Lamoreau, 33, of Easton was charged with possession of stolen property and violation of conditions of release, police said. They said additional charges may be filed.
Maine women will compete in Special Olympics Games
Two Maine women have been selected to participate in the upcoming Special Olympics World Winter Games in South Korea.
Tanya Scott, 31, of Mexico and Kala Emery, 26, of Lewiston will take part in the games running from Jan. 29 to Feb. 5. Scott will compete in snowshoeing, and Emery will compete in cross-country skiing.
Scott and Emery, chosen by Special Olympics Maine officials, will join 3,300 athletes and coaches representing 112 countries in South Korea.
Website offers information for shipping wreaths, trees
Forestry officials have created a new website offering tips to Maine companies that ship millions of dollars worth of Christmas trees and wreaths out-of-state each holiday season.
The Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry advises decorative-plant shippers that other states have regulations about wreath and tree shipments that could cost them money and time.
Some states are impounding and destroying shipments of trees and wreaths to prevent the possible spread of plant diseases, said Maine state horticulturist Ann Gibbs.
A shipping informational sheet can be found at: www.maine.gov/ agriculture/horticulture/Wreaths.htm.
Fishermen make new effort to avoid harbor porpoises
Fishermen say they’re being diligent about avoiding harbor porpoises after they were given a reprieve from a scheduled shutdown of key fishing grounds.
The shutdown was scheduled for October and November in the Gulf of Maine after too many porpoises got caught in their stationary nets, called gillnets.
Regulators said too few fishermen were installing required “pingers,” which make a sound that drives porpoises away.
But regulators rescheduled the closure after fishermen said the timing of the shutdown would be devastating.
Critics of the reprieve said regulators were endangering porpoises by caving in to a small industry segment.
The Northeast Seafood Coalition, an industry group, says it urged its members to deploy twice the required pingers in October. And they’re working on new pingers that are easier to confirm are working.
Group seeking volunteers for cold-water ocean plunge
Maine’s largest environmental advocacy organization is seeking volunteers for its fifth annual cold-water ocean plunge to raise money in the name of global warming.
The Natural Resources Council of Maine says its Polar Bear Plunge will be held at noon on Dec. 31 at Portland’s East End Beach.
The event raises money and awareness for the group’s work on climate change issues.
Those who aren’t up for a bone-numbing dip into the ocean can still raise money and take part in a 5-kilometer walk or run.
Last year, nearly 200 people took part in the events, raising $18,000.
People can sign up at the organization’s website, www.nrcm.org, or register at the event.
Two taken to hospital after carbon monoxide exposure
Two people were hospitalized Sunday for exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide in a home.
Kennebunk firefighters responded shortly before 10 a.m. after homeowners on Old Port Road reported that their carbon monoxide detector was going off.
Levels in the home were found to be high and the two occupants were taken to Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford for evaluation.
Firefighters said it’s likely the basement furnace caused the high levels of carbon monoxide.