Beaver trap nabs bald eagle that was 70 miles from nest

A bald eagle that was rescued from an animal trap by New Hampshire police on Thanksgiving Day came from Rhode Island.

Salem police say based on a band on the eagle’s leg, biologists say the bird was hatched from a nest in Scituate Reservoir in Rhode Island in 2005.

The distance from the nest to where it was found in Salem is about 70 miles.

The eagle was freed from the trap by police who watched it fly away, apparently unharmed except for a small cut on its leg.

A Massachusetts hunter reported finding the eagle next to a recently skinned remains of a beaver. Police say it appeared the eagle was attempting to feed on the beaver and got caught in the trap.


Gun buy-back program gets boost from gift cards

Police say Haverhill’s first gun buyback program was a success.

Authorities said residents turned in 24 handguns, 15 rifles and shotguns, 15 non-working guns, about 200 rounds of ammunition, including some armor-piercing bullets, as well as the Vietnam War-era grenade.

Lt. Robert Pistone says the city handed out gift cards for each weapon turned in.

Mayor James Fiorentini told The Eagle-Tribune he budgeted $2,500 for gift cards, but demand exceeded expectations. Residents received $50 cards for a working rifle, and $100 cards for working pistols. In all, the city gave out more than $3,000 in gift cards.


Deterioration of concrete discovered at nuclear plant

Officials at the Seabrook Nuclear Plant say the plant is operating safely although concrete deterioration has been found in some structures.

Communications manager Alan Griffith said Wednesday at the plant’s annual press briefing that engineers were studying the deterioration in under-water structures.

Griffith said deterioration has not been found in critical areas, including the dome housing the plant’s radioactive fuel rods.

He said plant owner NextEra Energy will seal the concrete if the Nuclear Regulatory Commission requires it. NextEra is seeking an extension of the plant’s operating license until 2050.


Accused hospital worker faces additional charges

A former hospital worker accused of stealing drugs and infecting patients with hepatitis C through contaminated syringes faces new federal charges in New Hampshire.

When David Kwiatkowski was arrested in July he was charged with one count each of illegally obtaining drugs and tampering with a consumer product. On Wednesday, he was indicted on seven counts of each crime.

Kwiatkowski worked as a cardiac technologist at Exeter Hospital, where 32 patients have been diagnosed with the same strain of the blood-borne viral infection he carries. He previously worked as a traveling technologist in seven other states, moving from hospital to hospital despite having been fired twice for drug use and theft.


Woman gets protection for herself and her dog

A Massachusetts judge has granted a restraining order to a Marshfield woman that also protects her dog.

It is believed to be the first time an animal has been covered under a domestic violence restraining order since Gov. Patrick signed an animal welfare bill into law in August allowing the practice.

Deni Michele Goldman, Marshfield’s animal control officer, told The Patriot Ledger that a week before Thanksgiving, a judge gave the 38-year-old woman’s 6-year-old Labrador protection from a violent ex-boyfriend.

Goldman said the woman feared the man might try to take the dog and that he had abused it in the past.

The dog is living with a foster family while the woman and her 2-year-old son are staying at an out-of-state domestic violence shelter.


Federal court rejects appeal of the region’s fishing ports

A federal appeals court has rejected claims by New England’s largest fishing ports that federal fishing law was improperly enacted and would lead to the destruction of local fleets.

In its decision Wednesday, the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a 2011 lower court decision in the suit brought by the ports of New Bedford and Gloucester, as well as fishermen and fishing groups.

The plaintiffs argued the new rules installed in 2010 should have been subject to a two-thirds referendum by fishermen.