Dozens evaluated for injury after subway trolleys collide
Boston authorities say about three dozen people were taken to hospitals for evaluation or treatment of mostly minor injuries after an MBTA Green Line trolley bumped into the rear of another in a downtown subway station.
Boston Emergency Medical Services said nine people with head and neck injuries were transported on stretchers. None of the injuries are considered life-threatening.
MBTA Transit Police Superintendent Joseph O’Connor said at the scene a two-car train at the Boylston Street platform was rear-ended just before noon Thursday by an arriving two-car train. He said there was no derailment and no visible damage to the cars.
T spokesman Joe Pesaturo estimated up to 200 passengers were on board.
The station was closed during an investigation and was reopened by midafternoon.
Newspaper defends hiring sex offender as reporter
The publisher of a Vermont newspaper defended his paper’s hiring of a convicted sex offender to cover police and courts, saying in a story Thursday that he supports fair punishment for those who break the law but also giving them an opportunity for rehabilitation.
Barre-Montpelier Times Argus Publisher R. John Mitchell spoke to a sister paper, the Rutland Herald, for a story about reporter Eric Blaisdell’s hiring that ran in both papers.
Times Argus Editor Steven Pappas said Blaisdell disclosed his crime when he applied for the job in June. Pappas said New Hampshire Department of Corrections officials and Blaisdell’s references said he posed no risk to the public.
Blaisdell served nine months in prison after pleading guilty to three felonies. He was arrested in 2007 for soliciting sex via computer from a 13-year-old girl who turned out to be a police officer. He had no physical contact with anyone.
Blaisdell, 27, of North Haverhill, N.H., told the Rutland Herald, “It was never my intention of following through.”
Police seek help finding man who took donation can
New Hampshire police are asking for the public’s help in finding a man accused of stealing a donation can from a convenience store and gas station in Concord.
An arrest warrant has been issued for Thomas Burke, 29.
He’s accused of swiping a can for food donations from an Irving gas station on Nov. 17.
Police have video surveillance of the theft.
Burke is described as being about 6 feet tall, weighing 220 pounds, and having spiked blond hair.
Dartmouth’s new president ‘thrilled to be coming home’
The provost at the University of Michigan has been chosen as the 18th president of Dartmouth College.
Philip Hanlon will succeed Jim Yong Kim, who left Dartmouth in April to become president of the World Bank. Hanlon earned his bachelor’s degree at Dartmouth in 1977, and will be the 10th alumnus to serve as president of the Ivy League school in Hanover, N.H.
“I’m thrilled to be coming home. It’s a really terrific place,” he said Thursday. “It shaped my life in profound ways.”
A mathematics professor who plans to continue teaching at Dartmouth, Hanlon said he appreciates the school’s focus on undergraduate teaching.
Hanlon said his broad mission will be furthering what he considers the key role of any great university: preparing the next generation of leaders. It was his time at Dartmouth that convinced him that a broad liberal arts education is the firmest foundation for success, he said.
Man who took kickbacks in federal program sentenced
A former Rhode Island energy auditor has been sentenced to two years of probation, including one year of home confinement, for accepting kickbacks of federal money that was supposed to be used to weatherize the homes of low-income families.
Saul Lemoi, 38, of West Warwick pleaded guilty in federal court earlier this year to one count of bribery and one count of making a false statement.
Lemoi worked for the Comprehensive Community Action Program, based in Cranston. Prosecutors say he directed about $75,000 in funds from the program to a private company in which he had an interest. About half the money went to him.
U.S. District Court Judge John McConnell also sentenced Lemoi on Thursday to serve 400 hours of community service.
Two 1939ers identified as R.I.’s oldest refrigerators
The owners of two 1939 refrigerators have won a contest to identify the oldest refrigerators in Rhode Island.
National Grid and Sears sponsored the contest to highlight energy efficiency and a program that rewards the utility’s customers for getting rid of old, energy-inefficient appliances.
The contest ended in a tie after Robert Midwood of Cranston and Edward Miracle of Greenville each turned in 73-year-old General Electric units. They both win a $1,000 gift card good toward the purchase of a newer model.
More than 3,400 appliances were picked up during the contest.
National Grid offers customers a $50 incentive if they allow their old refrigerator or freezer to be picked up for recycling.