NEW YORK – Actress Lindsay Lohan was arrested Thursday in New York City after police said she hit a woman during an argument, then hours later was charged in California with lying to police and reckless driving for a June crash in which her Porsche slammed into a dump truck.
The “Mean Girls” and “Freaky Friday” star was arrested at 4 a.m. and charged with third-degree assault.
She left a police precinct nearly four hours later with a black jacket pulled over her head. Lohan was wearing leggings, a green mini dress and high-heels. She drove off in a black SUV with a driver, a woman and another man who was seen going in and out of the precinct.
Lohan, 26, allegedly got into the spat with another woman at Club Avenue, in Manhattan’s Chelsea section. She struck the woman in the face with her hand, police said. The woman did not require medical attention. Lohan’s attorney, Shawn Holley, did not immediately return messages seeking comment.
The charges come just after Lohan’s portrayal of Elizabeth Taylor in the Lifetime movie “Liz & Dick” premiered to harsh reviews from critics and the public.
After the June crash, the actress told police her assistant was driving, but detectives determined Lohan was behind the wheel, police said. Prosecutors charged her with three misdemeanors: providing false information to police, reckless driving and willfully obstructing a police officer from his duties. No date for Lohan’s arraignment was announced, but the charges are likely to trigger a probation violation for a 2011 necklace theft case.
Lohan’s newest arrest is her latest brush with law enforcement in New York City.
She was involved in a New York Police Department investigation in September after alleging a man had assaulted her in a New York hotel, but charges against the man were later dropped.
Also in September, the actress was accused of clipping a man with her car outside another Manhattan nightclub, but prosecutors chose not to move ahead with charges.
USS Enterprise farewell will include Capt. Kirk
NORFOLK, Va. – Capt. James T. Kirk will be on hand when the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise is officially retired.
A publicist for William Shatner tells the Daily Press that the actor will attend the ship’s inactivation ceremony Saturday at Naval Station Norfolk. Shatner is scheduled to perform Friday in Newport News.
Shatner played Kirk at the helm of the starship Enterprise in the “Star Trek” television series and several movies.
The world’s first-nuclear powered aircraft carrier returned to Norfolk from its final deployment earlier this month.
‘Hunger’ author’s new book readied
NEW YORK – “The Hunger Games” novelist Suzanne Collins has a new book coming out next year. The multimillion-selling children’s author has completed an autobiographical picture story scheduled for Sept. 10, 2013, Scholastic Inc. announced Thursday. The 40-page book will be called “Year of the Jungle,” based on the time in Vietnam served by Collins’ father, a career Air Force officer.
“Year of the Jungle” is her first book since 2010’s “Mockingjay,” the last of “The Hunger Games” trilogy that made Collins an international sensation. More than 50 million copies of the “Hunger Games” books are in print and the first of four planned movies has grossed more than $600 million worldwide since March.
Collins’ next project will be intended for ages 4 and up, a younger audience than those who have read, and re-read, her dystopian stories about young people forced to hunt and kill each other.
– From news service reports