PORTLAND – One of six men who allegedly kidnapped a woman in July and raped her at gunpoint at an elementary school was ordered held on $200,000 bail Friday.

Mohamed Abdi, 22, of 97 Front St. in Portland, appeared before Judge E. Paul Eggert in Cumberland County Unified Criminal Court on three Class A felony charges – kidnapping and two counts of gross sexual assault – and two lesser charges, assault and terrorizing.

Abdi was identified by police after analysts matched his DNA profile to swabs taken from the victim after the attack, Portland Detective Maryann Bailey said in an affidavit seeking the charges against him.

On the night of the attack, July 26, the victim visited Portland for a night out with a friend and met the six men in the Deering Oaks area, the affidavit says.

The victim told police that she got into a fight with her friend after midnight and called one of the men to ask for a ride home.

After she got into a black sport utility vehicle with the men, they drove her to the Sagamore Village housing development and walked her to the nearby grounds of Hall Elementary School, Bailey said in her affidavit.

One of the men had a handgun, loaded it in front of the victim and put it to her head, demanding that she perform a sex act on him. As she did, another man raped her. The men then continued to sexually assault her, according to the affidavit.

Police were called at 2:47 a.m. with reports of a woman on Purchas Street yelling for help, saying she was going to be shot and had been raped by six men, the affidavit says.

Police obtained video footage of the black SUV from the Cumberland Farms on Woodford Street and recovered condoms, wrappers and bottles from the school grounds, Bailey said in the affidavit.

If he is convicted, Abdi will face as much as 30 years in prison on each of the Class A felony charges.

His next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 13.

 

Staff Writer Scott Dolan can be contacted at 791-6304 or at:

sdolan@mainetoday.com