BRIDGTON — Bridgton fire officials said careless handling of a wood stove caused a fire at the First and Last Resort Motel on Route 302 Wednesday night.

District Fire Chief Todd Perrault said the woodstove was located in an apartment where the motel owner’s son was living.

Though firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to the motel units, the fire caused quite a bit of damage to the apartment, Perrault said.

Perrault said firefighters from six towns responded. The fire, which was reported at 5:17 p.m, was knocked down within 30 minutes.