PORTLAND – It took a little extra effort, but Camden Hills managed to keep its unbeaten season alive.

A highlight-reel goal by Grayson Szumilas just 32 seconds into overtime gave the Windjammers a 5-4 victory against Cape Elizabeth in a schoolboy hockey game Saturday night at Portland Ice Arena.

The Capers (3-7-1) pushed the Windjammers (9-0) to the brink by scoring with 19.9 seconds remaining in regulation.

“Once we got that break to recuperate heading into overtime, we really just wanted to go out there as hard as we could our first shift and end it,” Szumilas said. “I knew they played chippy all game, so when I got the puck I was just able to tap it around them because I knew they just wanted to hit me.”

After eluding a couple defenders, Szumilas descended on goaltender Grant Rusk and made a fake to the backhand, then went forehand to end it.

The result was heartbreaking for Cape, which fell behind early but rallied. A faceoff win in the final minute of regulation by Satchel McCarthy, who had three assists, led to a pileup at the edge of the Camden Hills crease. Chris Grennon managed to jam the puck into the goal to tie the game.

Camden Hills, which had 60 goals in its first eight games, scored three times in seven minutes to build a 3-0 lead. Simon Lydon, Szumilas and Stephen Hand, on a power play with less than a minute left in the first period, got the goals.

“We stood around a lot in the first period and kind of watched, and let them take the game to us,” said Cape Coach Matt Buotte. “I really challenged (my players) to come out hard in the second period.

“I think tonight we really kind of showed what kind of a team we are. We didn’t back down and we fought until the last second.”

Cape stormed back in the second with goals by Charlie Laprade and Dennis Frank. The Capers had a great opportunity to tie it shortly after Frank’s power-play goal when they had a two-man advantage for 51 seconds. But the Windjammers didn’t allow an opportunity while short-handed and carried a 3-2 lead into the third.

Jack Orne made it 4-2 on a power play, carrying the puck over the line and shooting.

Five minutes later Cape answered on a power play. Laprade delivered his second of the game on a scramble.

“We haven’t been in too many of these games this year,” said Camden Hills Coach Karl Enroth. “It’s been almost too easy at times so I’m pleased with the way our team responded.”