CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. — Martin Ouellette made 24 saves and sophomore Jon Swavely scored his first two goals of the season Saturday night as the University of Maine stunned Boston College 3-1 in a Hockey East game at Conte Forum.

Maine (7-14-4, 3-9-4 HE) won for the second straight night to take the season series from the Eagles (14-7-2, 11-6-1), the defending national champions, 2-1.

Each team put 10 shots on net in the first period, but the Black Bears got the only goal when Swavely scored on a trailer from Will Merchant with 1:17 left in the period.

The Black Bears got their second goal 2:48 into the third period.

Devin Shore took his defender wide to the right side, then sent a shot in front of the goal that Connor Leen lifted over goalie Brian Billett and into the top of the net.

Swavely put in a rebound of his own shot with 6:16 left in the game to make it 3-0.

Merchant also assisted on that goal.

Ouellette stopped a short-handed bid by Pat Mullane midway through the third right after Brendan Silk of BC was called for boarding.

Ouellette had his shutout bid spoiled with nine seconds remaining when Patrick Brown tipped a shot from the point by Teddy Doherty.

The second period had all the intensity of that accompanies a one-goal game.

In the opening minutes, Ouellette made a save on an open shot by Destry Straight, then stopped his attempt on the rebound.

With eight minutes left, forward Stu Higgins sent a shot over the blocker and wide of the net, but managed to draw a penalty on the play when Patrick Wey was called for slashing.

Maine had a another great opportunity for a goal with just over six minutes remaining in the second period.

Mark Anthoine shoveled a shot that goalie Brian Billett saved, and the rebound went to Jake Rutt, who spun and fired a shot that hit crossbar.

After the power-play ended, Wey nearly avenged his time in the box when he sent a shot from the right point that hit the crossbar and dropped down, but not over the line. The call was confirmed upon review.