A Portland woman who was badly burned in a fire over the weekend is in critical condition at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

Julia Ball, 56 of 250 Burnside Ave., was flown by LifeFlight helicopter from Maine Medical Center to the Boston hospital after receiving burns over 70 to 80 percent of her body.

The fire started in the living room and investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s Office say it may have started when smoking materials fell into the couch. They did not know whether Ball had fallen asleep or left the room, giving a chance for the smoldering fire to grow.

When Ball discovered the fire she called her sister than tried to put it out herself, investigators said. When her sister arrived, Ball was outside and on fire and she put her out.

The fire broke out just before noon and firefighters were able to save the building but the living room was extensively damaged.