BURLINGTON, Vt. – Vermont held off Maine to avenge an earlier loss, winning 73-61 in a men’s basketball game Wednesday night.
Zarko Valjarevic led the Black Bears (11-16, 6-8 America East) with 14 points. Maine stayed with the Catamounts (17-9, 10-4) in the first half, but Vermont’s 8-2 run led to a 30-26 halftime lead.
Alasdair Fraser added 11 points for Maine, and had eight rebounds and one blocked shot. Fraser joins Jeff Cross (1981-84) as the only player in Maine history to record 500 rebounds and 100 career blocks. Fraser now has 547 career rebounds and 100 blocks.
(8) SYRACUSE 84, PROVIDENCE 59: James Southerland scored 20 points, and Michael Carter-Williams had 15 points and 12 assists as the Orange (22-4, 10-3 Big East) beat the Friars (14-12, 6-8) at Syracuse, N.Y.
(11) GEORGETOWN 90, DEPAUL 66: D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera had 33 points as the Hoyas (20-4, 10-3) moved back into a tie with Syracuse and Marquette for first place in the Big East with a win at Washington.
(18) OHIO STATE 71, MINNESOTA 45: Deshaun Thomas scored 19 points and Ohio State (19-7, 9-5 Big Ten) used a 16-0 second-half run to beat Minnesota (18-9, 6-8) at Columbus, Ohio.
(19) WISCONSIN 69, NORTHWESTERN 41: Jared Berggren and Ben Brust each scored 12 points as the Badgers (19-8, 10-4 Big Ten) topped the Wildcats (13-14, 4-10) at Evanston, Ill.
(21) MEMPHIS 81, HOUSTON 74: Adonis Thomas scored 22 points, and Chris Crawford had 11 points and a career-high 13 rebounds as the Tigers (23-2, 12-0 Conference USA) topped the visiting Courgars (15-10, 4-8) for their 17th straight win.
FLORIDA: Damontre Harris, a junior sitting out the season under NCAA transfer rules, was charged with failing to appear at an arraignment.
Harris had been scheduled to appear in court Aug. 16 after being cited last July for driving without a valid license.
He never showed, however, triggering an arrest warrant that was discovered when Harris was pulled over Wednesday in Gainesville, Fla., for an unrelated traffic violation.
MAINE 73, VERMONT 63: Lauren Bodine hit seven 3-pointers for a game- and career-high 24 points as the Black Bears won at Orono.
For Maine (4-22, 3-10 America East), it was the first time this year the team had recorded consecutive wins.
Courtney Anderson added a career-high 22 points and 10 rebounds.
(7) PENN STATE 95, ILLINOIS 62: Maggie Lucas scored 22 points and Penn State (22-3, 12-1) moved a step closer to a second straight Big Ten regular-season title with a win at home.
SOUTH FLORIDA 73, (12) LOUISVILLE 62: Andrea Smith tied a career high with 35 points and South Florida (18-7, 7-5) upset Louisville (21-6, 9-4) at Louisville, Ky.
BATES SWEEPS: Kevin Davis drove in three runs on two singles and a sacrifice fly to help Bates (4-5) to a comfortable 10-1 win over Berry (2-1) in the first game of a doubleheader at Rome, Ga.
In Bates’ 5-4 second-game win, Davis scored the winning run in the top of the seventh.