JAY — A discarded cigarette is being blamed for an apartment house fire in Jay that left nine people without a home.

Firefighters say the back of the building was burning out of control when they were called to the three-story apartment house at about 12:30 p.m. Saturday.

Search photos available for purchase: Photo Store →

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Booker told the Sun Journal of Lewiston the fire started on a first-floor back porch.

Firefighters from seven towns assisted in putting out the fire, but the building was total loss. Nobody was hurt.