LACONIA, N.H. — A cat is being blamed for a two-alarm fire in an apartment in Laconia.

Fire Chief Kenneth Erickson says the fire started at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday after a cat knocked over a lamp inside a bedroom.

Erickson told WMUR-TV the apartment house had working smoke detectors and everybody made it out safe, but two cats and a bird weren’t so lucky. He says the building suffered extensive damage but isn’t beyond repair.

Red Cross officials say four families were displaced by the fire, three of which are being helped by the Red Cross.