• James Whelan was named vice president and business loan officer for Saco & Biddeford Savings Institution’s business lending department.
Whelan, of Scarborough, is an accomplished commercial and business lending professional.
Most recently, he was responsible for commercial real estate mortgage originations at Princeton Properties.
• Kevin Shangraw was hired as a residential loan officer at Saco & Biddeford Savings.
Shangraw, of Wells, served as a mortgage loan officer for Downeast Mortgage and North American Mortgage.
• Beau Gardner joined Q-Team Tree Service of Naples as a chain-saw operator, tree climber and bucket truck operator.
Gardner lives in Raymond.
• Marney McKenney joined the Portland Museum of Art as membership manager.
McKenney previously worked as director of membership at the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland.
• Luda Paliyenko-Sherman joined Hall Internet Marketing as a marketing assistant.
Paliyenko-Sherman previously completed several human resource, leadership and management courses at Southern Maine Community College.
• Jon Gaboric, a winner of Chef Wanted on Food Network, was named executive chef at Natalie’s at the Camden Harbour Inn.
Recently, Gaboric worked as general manager and executive chef at Sobani Restaurant and Wine Bar in Austin, Texas, and is a founder and operating partner of Wefuse Eatery, also in Austin.
• Tom Caswell and Shaun Markham were hired at Synernet Inc.
Caswell, of Cape Elizabeth, was named director of sales and marketing. He has 25 years of business development, sales and marketing experience. Previously, he worked at Creative Mobile LLC in the same capacity.
Markham joined Synernet Inc. as an infrastructure engineer. Previously, Markham worked for Delhaize America Shared Services LLC dba Hannaford Bros. Co. as senior engineer of Windows Server Platforms.
Five drivers representing FedEx Corp. placed among the top finishers at the 2013 Maine State Truck Driving Championship in Hermon last month.
• Bob Cochran, a driver for FedEx Express in Augusta, earned his second consecutive state title with a win in the Step Van class.
• Lester Lord, a driver for FedEx Freight in Bangor, finished second in the four-axle class.
• Erik Barden, a driver for Wolfe Transportation Inc., based at the FedEx Ground station in Portland, and Alex Hutchinson, a driver for White Family Freight Inc. based at the FedEx Ground station in Houlton, finished the sweep of the Step Van class with their second- and third-place finishes.
• FedEx Freight driver Ray Rogers (Bangor) finished third in the Twins class.
Cochran will go on to compete at the American Trucking Associations’ 2013 National Truck Driving Championships, known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” Aug. 20-24 in Salt Lake City.
• Kelly Luoma, a television programmer with MPBN, was recognized with the 2013 Charles Impaglia Programmer of the Year Award.
Luoma works at MPBN, Vermont Public Television and TRAC Media Services. Under Luoma’s stewardship, MPBN’s whole-week viewership stands 9 percent above where it was before digital and the cumulative audience is up 3 percent.
Prime-time viewership has risen 63 percent since 2008 with a cumulative audience increase of 31 percent.
BOARD AND COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS
• Linda Cohen, a South Portland City Council member, was named to the executive committee of the Maine Municipal Association.
Cohen has served on the City Council since December of 2012. She also served as city clerk in Portland and South Portland for 22 years.
• George Shaw and Dighton Spooner were appointed chairman and vice chairman of the board of directors for the Maine Community Foundation.
Shaw, of Newcastle, was an attorney at Hemenway & Barnes in Boston from 1968 to 2000, specializing in estate and charitable planning and trust administration.
Spooner, of Cumberland Foreside, is associate director of career planning at Bowdoin College. He previously was project director for “Craft in America,” a multimedia project that included a PBS TV series.