Bank to offer donation program to help keep Black Mountain Ski Area open
Efforts to save Rumford’s Black Mountain Ski Area from closure will receive a big boost Thursday when officials from Bangor Savings Bank plan to announce a matching $25,000 donation program.
The Maine Winter Sports Center has run Black Mountain of Maine since purchasing the area, with funding from the Libra Foundation, in 2003. A decision to slash Alpine ticket prices to $15 last winter resulted in the area’s best year to date, but the non-profit MWSC still projected a loss of $80,000 this year.
Given the history and importance of the area in the Nordic skiing world — from junior high to college and up through the national championships, which Black Mountain hosted in 2011 and 2012 — two fundraising efforts have produced about $80,000 in two weeks.
MLS: Portland will host the 2014 Major League Soccer All-Star game.
The Portland Timbers are known for their fervent supporters and the team has sold out 42 straight MLS matches at their downtown stadium.
HALL OF FAME: Two-time defending champ John Isner advanced to the quarterfinal round at Newport, R.I., by beating Adrian Mannarino of France 6-0, 7-6 (7).
JUNIOR LEGION: Patrick Weimer scored the winning run on a passed ball in the bottom of the sixth inning as Westbrook (7-4) edged Chase Custom Homes (8-3) 4-3 at Westbrook.
• Joey Fusco drove in four runs on two doubles to lead Bruno’s (8-4) in a 12-2, five-inning win over Schwartz & Schwartz (1-10) at Deering Oaks.
• Nate Loranger hits three singles, drove in two runs and scored one to help Schwartz & Schwartz (1-9) defeat Fayette-Staples 11-6 in Saco Tuesday evening.
AMERICAN LEGION: Calvin Soule allowed just two hits as Cumberland (5-3-2) beat Bonny Eagle (2-8) 3-2 at Cumberland.
TWILIGHT LEAGUE: Alex Tobey pitched all 11 innings and recorded 12 strikeouts as Aero Heating (2-6-1) and Lenders Network (6-2-1) played to a 4-4 tie at Scarborough.
LITTLE LEAGUE 11-12: Olivia Howe pitched a no-hitter and Kennebunk scored six runs in the third to eliminate Hermon 10-0 in four innings at the 11-12 state championship tournament at Rockland.
Kennebunk must beat undefeated Scarborough twice on Friday to earn a spot in the regional tournament beginning July 19 at Bristol, Conn.
NHL: The Rangers reached agreements on deals with restricted free-agent forward Carl Hagelin and newly acquired defenseman Justin Falk.
• The Coyotes hired former Canucks assistant coach Newell Brown to serve on Coach Dave Tippett’s staff. He replaces John Anderson, who didn’t return after two years with the Coyotes.
• The Blues traded David Perron to the Oilers for Magnus Paajarvi and a 2014 second-round draft pick.
• The Devils re-signed defenseman Marek Zidlicky to a one-year, $3 million contract.
— From staff and news services