• Ruth Summers was appointed director of admissions at Cheverus High School. Summers comes to Cheverus from the Education Foundation of Portland, where she served as executive director. There, Summers was responsible for raising and awarding more than $1 million in yearly scholarships. She also served as president of the Junior League of Portland. She replaces Philip “Jack” Dawson, longtime director of admissions, who now will serve as special assistant to the president for admissions and alumni affairs.
• Sarah E.D. Joy was hired to manage Bonney Staffing Center’s Portland branch. Joy began her career at Bonney in 2008 as an account executive and has been managing the Bangor branch since 2009. She is a certified staffing professional.
• Katie Norton was hired at Appletree School in Cape Elizabeth as the kindergarten teacher. Norton lives on Long Island, where she spent the past five years teaching music, special education and physical education, as well as kindergarten enrichment and general classroom assistance.
• Joe Reardon was promoted to assistant branch manager at Saco & Biddeford Savings Institution’s Old Orchard Beach branch. Reardon has received five promotions since joining the bank seven years ago and is certified as a teller, supervisor and manager. He is studying finance at the University of Southern Maine.
AWARDS and RECOGNITIONS
• Gordon Grimes, an attorney and shareholder at Bernstein Shur, was named to The International Who’s Who of Energy Lawyers 2013. Grimes is the only attorney in Northern New England to receive the designation. Grimes of Durham has spent more than 30 years representing the interests of private energy generators, banks, contractors and other entities in the power generation industry.
• The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s GreenChill Partnership recognized the Hannaford Supermarket & Pharmacy in Turner with the organization’s 2013 Best of the Best Award. The store was recognized for using a first-in-the-nation system that uses only carbon dioxide as a refrigerant. The natural coolant eliminates the risk to the ozone layer and significantly reduces the store’s climate impacts.
• Eleven lawyers from Perkins Thompson P.A. have been selected to be included in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. The attorneys named to the list are Timothy P. Benoit, Fred W. Bopp III, Randy J. Creswell, John A. Hobson, Philip C. Hunt, James N. Katsiaficas, Peggy L. McGehee, Paul D. Pietropaoli, William J. Sheils, Mark P. Snow and John S. Upton.
• Staci Coomer was recently elected to the Midcoast Economic Development board of directors. Coomer was appointed chair of the partnerships committee.