• Destry Oldham-Sibley joined Harbor Family Services in Rockport. She is a family psychiatric nurse practitioner.
• Lytfi Volksmyth was recently hired as a program manager for youth development services at Day One in South Portland.
Volksmyth has extensive experience as a clinician, team leader and supervisor.
Melissa Buchanan was also hired as a substance abuse counselor at Day One’s residential treatment program. Chaz Gokas was hired as a substance abuse counselor at Mountain View Youth Development Center.
• Peter G. Cary of the Portland law firm of MittelAsen LLC was selected to fill the vacancy in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maine. Cary replaces Judge James B. Haines Jr., who is retiring. The appointment is for a 14-year term beginning in early 2014, contingent upon a successful FBI background check. Cary, of Cape Elizabeth, was admitted to the bar of the state of Maine in 1987. He has practiced law at MittelAsen, LLC since 1988.
• Daniel Frost joined Thornton Academy’s math department to teach geometry and algebra. Frost is a Paleoclimate scientist and Farmington native. He comes to Thornton Academy after more than seven years on the faculty of Carrabassett Valley Academy.
AWARDS and RECOGNITIONS
• Four Verrill Dana attorneys were recognized for their skill as litigators in Benchmark Litigation’s 2013 edition. The Verrill Dana attorneys recognized by Benchmark Litigation are:
Charles P. Bacall was recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” for Intellectual Property in the Maine, Plaintiff category.
Chris A. Caseiro was recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” for Intellectual Property in the Maine, Plaintiff category.
Karen Frink Wolf has been recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” for General Commercial and Professional Liability in the Maine category. She was also recognized as one of Benchmark Litigation’s “Top 250 Women in Litigation” (a national recognition) for the second consecutive year.
James G. Goggin was recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” for Intellectual Property in both the Maine, and Maine, Plaintiff categories.
Benchmark Litigation also lists Verrill Dana as a “Recommended Firm” in both the Maine and Maine, Plaintiff categories.
• Hydro International in Portland was named to the 2013 Best Places to Work in Maine list. The firm shares the distinction with 41 other companies and is one of the only two engineering companies to make the list.
• Michael Ricci, M.D., chief of vascular surgery at the Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute in Lewiston, was appointed to the Society for Vascular Surgery’s Clinical Practice Council. Ricci will help monitor the vascular surgery practice environment and identify issues that need SVS attention.