AUBURN — Emergency crews responsed to a gas leak outside the Auburn Mall on Tuesday afternoon, containing it within 45 minutes with no evacuations.
The gas company Unitil received a report of the leak around 2:40 p.m. The leak was caused when a third party struck a gas line about 20 feet from JCPenney anchor store, said Unitil spokesman Alec O’Meara. He could not be more specific.
“The area has been made safe. There were no evacuations,” O’Meara said.
The area was secured by 3:25 p.m., and Unitil had a repair crew on the way shortly afterward to make more permanent repairs, he said.