OXFORD – A fire early Sunday morning destroyed an Oxford home, left six people homeless and took firefighters from several towns more than seven hours to extinguish.

Oxford Fire Chief Scott Hunter said the fire at 25 Burns Road apparently started in an area where the family’s wood stove connects to a chimney. It was reported at 6:30 a.m.

Hunter said the home is owned by Sally Courtney. Several people lived in the home, including two  children ages 2 and 3 months. Everyone got out safely, but Hunter said Courtney told firefighters that one dog and five cats were missing.

Hunter, who lives in the neighborhood, said the residence started out as a mobile home and has had several additions built onto it over the years.

The fire kept spreading from one addition to the next, making it difficult to control. Hunter said it took firefighters from several towns more than seven hours to bring the fire under control.

“It was very stubborn,” he said.

The American Red Cross put the family up at a local motel on Sunday night.