BENNINGTON, N.H. — Emergency officials say a woman and child were hurt when they fell from a chairlift at a ski area in Bennington.
The fall happened Wednesday afternoon at Crotched Mountain ski area. Fire officials tell WMUR-TV they suffered serious injuries after falling about 40 feet.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office says it does not appear the chairlift malfunctioned. The lift was stopped for a while and inspected. It was later restarted.
Bennington Fire Chief Mike Roina says there were only a couple inches of snow on the ground at the area where the fall happened.
The names of the woman and child were not released.
Crotched Mountain General Manager Patrick Terry said the lifts are designed to prevent accidents such as this from happening.
“What’s important when you get on the chair lift is that you make sure you put the safety bar down,” Terry said. “It’s nearly impossible to fall out of the chair.”