• Paul Weldner, M.D., joined the medical staff at Central Maine Medical Center.
Weldner is practicing with the Cardiothoracic Surgical Division at the Central Maine Heart and Vascular Institute in Lewiston. Most recently, he worked for Maine Heart Surgical Associates in Portland.
• Janet Acker was hired as executive director of SailMaine.
Acker, of Falmouth, previously worked in the financial services industry. She has extensive sailing and racing experience.
• Chad Whalen joined Consigli Construction Co., Inc. as a project manager.
Whalen, of Monmouth, specializes in health care facilities. Some recent projects include Penobscot Bay Medical Center, Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, and the Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care in Augusta.
• Dr. Ari Berman joined Southern Maine Geriatrics as an internist.
Berman, of Cape Elizabeth, is practicing at Seal Rock Healthcare at Atlantic Heights in Saco and at Gorham House.
He practiced in Massachusetts for 10 years as a hospitalist and primary care physician.
• Roberto Forleo joined Portland School of Ballet as director of the CORPS Pre-Professional Program. Forleo has performed and toured with Grupo Corpo (Brazil), Bejart Ballet (Lausanne), Rambert Dance Company, London; Ballet Biarritiz, France; Cie Marie-Laure Agrapart, Paris; and with La-Parenthese Christophe Garcia, Marseille and Les Ballet Trockadero de Monte Carlo.
• Sharon Millett, of Poland, was named chairman of the Board of Regents for Realtor@ University.
Millett has been a member of the board since 2012. She currently serves on the board of Central Maine Health Care, the executive committee of NAR, and is chairman of the Maine Real Estate Commission.
• Sarah Diment, of the Beachmere Inn in Ogunquit, was honored with the 2013 Innkeeper of the Year Award by the Maine Innkeepers Association.
Diment is a fifth generation Innkeeper. She was recognized for her work on the marketing committee, and for posting news to the association’s Facebook page. She has also traveled to Washington, D.C. to advocate for small and seasonal business.
• Three lawyers from the Topsham-based law firm McTeague Higbee were recently included in the 2013 edition of New England Super Lawyers magazine.
G. William Higbee and Jeffrey Neil Young were listed as part of the top 5 percent of outstanding lawyers in New England. Benjamin Grant was selected for inclusion in New England Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star.”
Young, of Cumberland Foreside, was recognized in the specialty of employment litigation: plaintiffs.
Higbee, of Brunswick, was chosen in the specialty of personal injury: plaintiffs.
Grant was selected as a “New England Rising Star” in workers’ compensation.
• Saco & Biddeford Savings Institution recently won the 2013 Candlelight Award by the Epilepsy Foundation of New England for its support of the epilepsy community.
One in 26 Mainers lives with epilepsy. The Epilepsy Foundation of New England works to educate the public about this neurological disorder.
• U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers released its 2014 “Best Law Firms” rankings, and the firm of Skelton, Taintor & Abbott has received a Tier 1 ranking in the Portland area. The firm was recognized for its practice areas of insurance law, litigation/tax, personal injury litigation/defendants, product liability litigation/defendants and tax law.
• The editors of Business Management Daily selected the website of the law firm Fisher & Phillips, laborlawyers.com, as one of the most helpful legal resources for HR professionals.
The firm’s online Knowledge Center includes alerts on the latest legal developments, newsletters about industry issues and disciplines, booklets on federal and state employment and labor laws and case studies. The firm also produces four blogs: cross border employer, non-compete and trade secrets, wage and hour laws, and workplace safety and health law.
• Dale Pierson, owner of Pierson Nurseries in Biddeford, was elected a Fellow of the Eastern Region of the International Plant Propagators’ Society.
The Fellow Award recognizes its members for exceptional service to the society and to the advancement of the field of propagation and production. Pierson has been a member of IPPS since 1993.