before
after

 

The black-and-white photo above, which originally appeared in the January 10, 1947 edition of the Portland Press Herald, shows Perry Greene of Waldoboro leading his seven Chinook dogs — with 4-year-old Riki in the lead — down Forest Avenue near Bedford Street. Greene and his dogs had recently been featured in a January 1947 Saturday Evening Post article.

Visible in the background, in both the 1947 photo and in the 2013 photo, is Palmer Spring Company, headquartered at 355 Forest Avenue.

The 1943 photo comes from the Portland Room collection at the Portland Public Library, where the photographic negatives from the Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram and Portland Evening Express are currently being archived and cataloged. In Flashback, we’ll periodically share some of our favorites from this collection, which spans from the 1930s to the 1990s. See more at www.pressherald.com/flashback.

Historic photo, uncredited, courtesy of the Press Herald archives housed at the Portland Public Library; contemporary photo by John Ewing, Staff Photographer.