PITTSTON — Firefighters and neighbors formed a human chain Monday night to help salvage Christmas presents following a fire at the home of Carolyn Moody, 885 Blinn Hill Road.

Fire Chief Jason Farris said everyone escaped without injury, including a firefighter who fell through the floor in one spot.

Farris said the home is a complete loss although the damage is not visible from the outside.

He said the blaze, which was reported at about 5:30 p.m., appears to have started in a generator.

“Somehow it caught fire and they had just filled it with gas,” he said on Tuesday. “It had over five gallons. That caught on fire, and then a fifth-wheel that was three or four feet from the generator. When we got the call it was already in the house and the camper was on fire.”

Farris said firefighters had to cut branches in order to get the trucks to the ranch house location and battled the fire in icy conditions.

“We were there with what I thought was a good response — four trucks from Pittston and 15 people,” Farris said.

He said firefighters from West Gardiner, Randolph, Farmingdale, and Dresden assisted at the scene, bringing the total to about 25.

“We did a pretty aggressive attack and stopped the fire dead,” Farris said.

Farris said the firefighter who went through the floor caught himself on one of the joists and was able to get himself out. Firefighters then pulled out of that area.

Once the fire was extinguished, firefighters were able to remove a lot of the possessions.

Farris said the family spent the night with friends and that the Moodys have homeowners’ insurance.

Firefighters were at the scene until about 9 p.m. Monday and spent the remainder of the night responding to other calls, mostly of downed power lines and trees, as well as assisting people in removing trees from their driveway so they could get out.

“We’ve responded to 25 calls in the last 24 hours,” Farris said. “The other towns were busy as well.”

Betty Adams — 621-5631

badams@centralmaine.com

Twitter: @betadams